2001 SL1 Radiator Fan Not Working - Page 2 - Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

2001 SL1 Radiator Fan Not Working

Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Banned

it does engage but it only blows cold air for a few minutes. then bows luke warm air the rest of the time, i'm not worried about a/c though just dont want my car to keep over heating and eventually causing other issues

Old 06-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

if the a/c clutch engages but the fan does not come on, this leads me to believe it is a wiring issue either with the fan motor, the fan relay, or the MAYBE the ECTS connection to the PCM.

When you turn on the A/C, the PCM commands the fan to turn on if the A/C low/press/highpress switch is not open and the the fan stays on while the AC is on.

Since your fan is not turning on at all in the above scenario but the motor itself works, voltage/current isn't getting to the fan. The question is why.

I would suspect a bad connection from the motor wiring to the underhood fuse box or an issue with the fan relay socket or the wiring underneath it.

You may also have a bad ECTS or connector, but as far as I know the fan operation with the A/C on is totally independent of this reading.

I'd start tracing for continuity backwards starting from the fan harness. Don't overlook the connectors themselves.

Please list car model and year and add to your signature in your user profile.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Banned

OKay i will check all that out, thank you so much, and as for making my car modle year all that as my signiture i dont see where to do that at.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

User CP -- top left of the forum header screen under the pic of the car. click edit signature

Old 06-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Banned

Okay i found it. lol Thanks again, i will post tomorrow and let you know, it's starting to get dark here in Indianapolis.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:54 PM

Do you have a volt meter or a VOM?

Pull the fan relay and look of the schematic of the relay, it is somewhere on the relay. There should be 4 pins on the relay, two are for the coil and two are for the contacts.

See which pins are for the contacts. If you have a volt meter or a VOM, check for 12 volts on the sockets where those pins go in the underhood fuse box, one of them should have 12 volts. If you don't have a volt meter, then take a small piece of wire, or a paper clip and short the two sockets together. Hold the wire with pliers because it will get very hot, very quick.

If the fan motor runs, then the issue is with the controller, which in your case is the PCM. For this you will need a wiring diagram. I don't have mine anymore.

If you don't have the 12V on either socket, then the issue is between the underhood fuse panel and the battery. If you do have 12V on one socket, then short the sockets together and if motor doesn't run, then the issue is in the wiring between the underhood fuse panel and the motor.

Last edited by keith; 06-05-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for adding this level of detail for the testing Keith

Old 04-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Default Radiator fan

I also had the same problem. Switched fuses, no luck, tested for and had power at the plugin for the fan motor. I took off the fan motor assembly and for grins hot wired the fan motor to the batter. The fan ran so I plugged the connection back in and the motor worked. Saved a few bucks.