Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

2001 SL--engine cooling fan not running.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Default 2001 SL--engine cooling fan not running.

I have a 2001 Saturn SL. AFTER checking the fuse, relay and replacing the fan motor, the cooling fan will still not work. the AC is not working at all, not even when i am driving. it usually does when the car is moving, but not this time. i was wondering if anyone might have a clue as to why this is happening.

wiring problem? is this something a novice car repairman should take in to get serviced?

thanks.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Banned

Before going any further, are we talking about the fan inside the car that blows your A/C around, or are we talking about the radiator cooling fan out under the hood?

Old 06-10-2012, 04:15 PM

radiator cooling fan. and when i say the AC is not working, i meant that it blows out fine. just not any cool air, even when the car is in motion.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

start by replacing Engine coolant temp sensor (ECTS) and connector sourced from GM dealer (if you want the right part)

Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Banned

Derf has the right idea there ... especially with respect to OEM parts. Estimated cost of those parts would be around $45usd.

Now, before going any further, I'd use a jumper wire, and make sure the new fan actually worked. If the fan does work, then proceed with the ECTS replacement.

Next question -- does the A/C compressor actually run when you turn the A/C switch on? Also, do you have a set of A/C gages to read the pressures in the system? If so, hook them up, and let us know what those pressures are ....

Old 06-10-2012, 08:00 PM

i changed the ECTS, still not working. not sure how i'd change the connection. would i have to cut the old off and splice a new one on?

i checked the low pressure, it was at like 25, 26ish. i couldnt check the high cause my gauge didnt fit that port. and it sounds like the compressor is going. making a humming noise on and off.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

do a loan a tool for the ac gauges from autozone or similar when you go to do the fill. In my experience the low side pressure needs to be about 40 for the low pressure cutout switch to reenable the system (right now it's inhibiting the system electrically to protect the compressor). Definitely a leak in the system but you already know that. Suggest recharging with the refrigerant containing the dye and using a small uv light to find the leak (hopefully)

+1 on the fan jumper to test functionality of fan.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:08 PM

splice a new one on? Yes and you'll get everything you need all in one bag from the dealer.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:40 PM

So far no problem with any of the suggestions.
I will say this on the AC.
As stated will the compressor turn on?
if not then that is the reason for warm air from the A/C '
As to gauges, I am assuming for the moment this is an R134 refrigerant system. While I am no A/C expert I also have serviced my own AC using no more than a Can of R134 coolant and a gauge all of which fits the low side. This can be purchased almost anywhere.
Assuming nothing drastic is wrong with the system it is most probably low on refrigerant.
There is a sensor and switch on the compressor that will keep it from operation if the pressure is too low. If it is low on refrigerant the pressure will be too low. A single can of refrigerant and the gauge that comes with it available almost any where that sells refrigerant, wall-mart- o'rieleys, what ever. Is enough to fix that even temporarily, and generaly runs well under $20.00. If there is a leak it will come back. There is stop leak that has mixed reviews that might fix things. The point, assuming no major problem, $20.00 or so will take care of it, past that, turn it over to the pro's and then let them deal with it. And it will cost. so be prepared to pay.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:43 AM

i put some refrigerant in and the fan kicked on. i had to put some refrigerant in about a month ago, so i have a leak somewhere.

thanks for all the help. and feel free to offer up anymore suggestions about how to find the leak.

Quick Reply: 2001 SL--engine cooling fan not running.