Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

2001 Saturn SL1 Turns Over but Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Default 2001 Saturn SL1 Turns Over but Won't Start

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forums and am having some issues with my 01 SL1, the starting issue only seems to happen when the car sits for say 1-2 hours after being driven. The car turns over but it won't start. The alternator and battery are fine, I can't seem to locate the issue here. The fuel pump was just replaced and it still does not work.

Now if the car sits for a few hours and cools down completely it will start up, it idles horribly and very rich but after a few seconds it's fine.

I hear there is a Crank Position Sensor problem with these cars, anyone think that could be the issue here? If so where is it located and how much of a pain is it to replace?

I appreciate and info

Thanks

Josh

Old 06-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Banned

Hi there Josh --

You got the right idea, but the wrong sensor. The one you need to replace is the Engine Coolan Temperature Sensor (ECTS). It is located on the driver's side of the engine, below the place where the water exits the engine to the radiator. The sensor costs about $14usd (GET THE OEM TYPE).

It's also a good idea to replace the connector for the sensor at the same time. The connector costs a bit more (about $25usd), but the contacts tend to get bad over the years and makes for a poor connection.

Final comments -- use Teflon tape on the threads of the new sensor, and do the work when the engine is cold to avoid scalds/burns

Old 06-24-2009, 01:12 AM

Thanks for the help!

I replaced the Crank Pos Sensor and Coolant Temp Sensor and the car starts fine. What a relief that is.

Now I am having an issue with a misfire at cylinder 1, I am thinking it's an issue with the coil packs but I am not 100% sure. Any ideas? Also which cylinder is cylinder 1?

Also does anyone know the firing order? I'm not sure that the wires are ran correctly and before going through the trouble and $$ to replace the packs I would like to make sure the right cylinder is firing when it should.

Thanks again

Josh

Old 07-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Default SAME SYMPTOMS you had cps or ect?

glad to see your car worked when changing both sensors....but since you changed them at the same time, how do you know which sensor worked for your problem CPS OR ECT????

i am experience same symptoms, and the obdii threw a tps SENSOR which i asumed was the throttle position sensor, so i changed that and still have the same problem.

i think i changed the ect 30k ago, 6 years ago, so dont know if that went bad again, 98 sl2, with only 70k!, let me know if you can help thanks!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:00 AM

SNIP
Now I am having an issue with a misfire at cylinder 1, I am thinking it's an issue with the coil packs but I am not 100% sure. Any ideas? Also which cylinder is cylinder 1?
SNIP
On an in line 4 cylinder engine, or as far as I have been able to tell any engine of any configuration the cylinder the furthest away from the back of the engine (that is where the transmission is bolted up to) is #1. #2 on an in line engine is generally the next cylinder, a V configuration #2 can get a bit tricky. As to firing order:
it's on a sticker under the hood. the cylinders numbered 1-2-3-4 and the ingnition wires are 4-1-2-3 on the coil packs. the firing order is 1-3-4-2

Old 07-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Default ect or cps??

regarding SATURN01 problem, does anybody know if it was the ect or cps that helped his problem???
i was havin same symptoms?, please let me know

also where and how hard is it to change the cps???

thanks!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

change two things at once = never know but likely the ects for starting issues