Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

2000 SW2 folding rear seats stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

And although the production process results in "cleaner" dino oil, I think 3K is just alright by me

Old 11-19-2015, 03:13 AM
JDC

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
It amazes me that most people that get an owners manual with a car never even look at it. If they did, they'd save a lot of money by realizing that nowadays, the 3,000 mile oil change interval is obsolete. But the dealerships keep telling folks they have to come in every 3,000 miles for an oil change, and like the robots they are, they still do.
I'm lookng at my owners' manual right now. I went out to the car to get it (keeping it in the car seemed like the obvious place for it since I'd rarely need a Saturn Owners' Manual to fix a sink etc., inside the house lol)

Albeit referring to old technology (1996 SW2)

It says:

If any one of these is true for you :
1)Most trips are for less than 5 miles
2)It's below freezing, outside, day and night
3)It's very humid outside
4)Most trips include extensive idling (such as frequent driving in stop and go traffic)
5)You're towing a trailer
6) You drive in dusty areas
7) Your Saturn is used for delivery service, police, taxi or other commercal application

If any one of these is true for your vehicle (I know that's redundant but that's exactly how it is printed) you need to change your oil and filter every 3,000 miles (5,000 km) or 3 months ---whichever comes first.

If none of them are true, change your oil and filter every 6,000 miles (10,000 km) or 6 months--- whichever comes first.

Sounds. pretty much as if they are implying that the only time a 6,000 mile interval is suggested is when you're driving is mostly on freeways, in an area of temperate climate and you aren't either towing or delivering anything, anywhere close the the southwest United States.

Now, where is that section on raising the 60/40 rear seat backs? lol

Old 01-26-2016, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Where you at, Janmar?

Been awfully quiet....

Still waitin on the pix so I can make this a sticky....

Hope you are ok

Originally Posted by jamnar
I finally managed to get the seat to come down a few days ago and today I took the back apart to find out what was going on. Now I understand how it's supposed to work. That's a lever sticking out of the back of the seat that you are supposed to swing down (the owner's manual says push down but that's over simplifying it; It's a lever not a push rod). The latches on each end of the seat are released by the pressure of the ends of a rod that's welded to that lever. Swing the lever back and down and the ends of the rod swing up and forward hitting the release levers on the catches. What was wrong with mine is that the plastic rod holders/bearings have broken and the rod is floating loose. I've got to either replace this assembly or repair it somehow. I'm taking pictures as I go and will post when I can.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:34 AM

I haven't completely forgotten about this thread.
The seat latch situation has fallen way down the list of priorities but I do have pictures somewhere and I WILL get this thread updated so it can be used for reference. Eventually.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Then I will sticky it between now and 2045.
Deal.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:40 AM

Dang it derf, I won't be around by 2045. I plan on checking out in 2044! LOL

Old 11-15-2020, 10:12 AM

I didn't realize it was going to take 5 years from my original post to get this resolved.
For the first time in as many years there has been an SW2 at the local picknsave.
This was after I had already decided to sell my SW2. Bummer I thought but I went ahead and checked it out anyway.
Good news is it had a perfectly usable rear seat latch assembly and it was on picknsave's 50% off sale day.
I pulled the assembly and took it home figuring I could install it to up the sale value a little but more importantly so I could finally finish the repair and documentation of such for future reference.
I couldn't wait and installed it immediately on my SW2 and for once I can flip the back seats up and down at will.
Today I'm going to pull the new latch assembly off so I can take some pictures for comparison to my old broken version.
Derf, I'm finally going to be uploading those pictures, might take a few days but at least we won't have to wait until 2045.