Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Seatbelt

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 08:15 PM
Default Seatbelt

I just bought a 1992 Saturn SL1 and the upper part of the seatbelt doesn't work and is stuck in place. What do I do to get it into the proper position so I can use it. Thank you
It's called a temporary latch plate. It's supposed to be in the glove box but is missing.

Last edited by Wolverine 1; 04-26-2021 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Do you mean the motor di d not bring it back to the rearmost position in the track or that the shoulder belt cannot be unhooked from the latch of the part that moves on the track?

A picture would be helpful. I haven't looked at a passive seatbelt setup in quite a while but I will try to help you as much as I can

Old 04-25-2021, 12:55 PM
Default Se

Originally Posted by derf
Do you mean the motor di d not bring it back to the rearmost position in the track or that the shoulder belt cannot be unhooked from the latch of the part that moves on the track?

A picture would be helpful. I haven't looked at a passive seatbelt setup in quite a while but I will try to help you as much as I can
Yes it's stuck in the upper corner towards the backseat. I can't get it to move to the rear most position so it can be worn. There's supposed to be a latch located in the glove box to put in place of the electric one, but is not there.
Thank you for your help. I've never owned a Saturn before. I'm not sure where to begin with finding the part that's supposed to be in the glove box to resolve this issue
Finally found the interior fuse box. Passenger side shoulder strap now moves. The driver's side is still stuck in place.

Last edited by Wolverine 1; 04-27-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

See Automatic seat belt worth repairing? - SaturnFans.com Forums

Post #14

For now.

These things generally burn out motors. I'm not sure how the moving part is moved along the track and whether you can disassemble the setup enough to reposition that moving piece to the end of the track.

Only chance of getting known functional parts is off another 91 to 94 sedan.

The above is a poorly written replacement strategy.
I'm looking for a better one.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Old 04-25-2021, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Okay making progress, maybe. The traveling portion that moves along the track is cable driven. If the cable is all fubar d Tangled etc, it may be preventing movement.

More importantly, that says to me that you should be able to unhook the cable from the piece that runs along the track, slide the moving piece to the bottom right position in the track, and reattach the cable so that it is taut. Just make sure you unplug the motor from the circuit so that it does not try to move anything. There may be some type of latching mechanism that the moving part seats into at the end of the track, as it seems they would need to be something there to firmly hold it in place. I searched for one of those anchor clips and came up with nothing.

Don't remember how the seat belt came through the trim but you will probably need to remove all of the front door trim on the inside to get at this thing. Remember you're playing with 29 year old plastic so be very gentle.

I bear no responsibility for the information or directions above. Use a your own risk.

That's about all I can find.....

Replacement is probably the best option.