Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1994 Saturn SL, turning over, no start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Default 1994 Saturn SL, turning over, no start.

Car:
1994 Saturn SL 1.9L SOHC

Tonight I replaced the starter thinking that was the issue and it wasn't. The car is turning over but is just spinning. There is fuel coming from the TBI so that's not the issue. I checked all the fuses, they're all fine. I replaced the plugs and wires today in case it was a spark issue. So now I'm thinking it's the ignition coils. Is there any way to test them before I goto scavenging at the junk yard for replacements? What other things should I check? The engine just spins smoothly, it doesn't make a regular cranking noise, it's very odd. Just whiiiiiiir not whir-whir-whir. If that makes sense.

Last edited by sw2cam; 06-14-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:24 AM

It might be a defective ECTS. Electronic coolant temperature sensor. It's a known issue with the Saturn 1.9 engines and can cause all kinds of problems. DON'T get one from your local Autozone or Advance, etc. You really need to find a GM dealership that still sells Saturn parts and get it there, along with the pigtail. Now, I'm no mechanic and am not saying this is your problem, but it could be. Check for spark at the plugs simply by removing one, attach the plug wire back on it and ground it somewhere on the engine where you can see it and have someone crank the engine. If it sparks, you'll see it and be able to eliminate that as a cause very quickly. Your next step would be a compression test.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Banned

Oh dear --

I think Rube may have hit the key here -- a compression test is definitely next on the list. I'm almost afraid to read your results ....

Old 06-14-2013, 01:36 PM

Right on, a compression test is never a bad idea on a second-hand car that has been bought in such bad shape. Is there a guide for replacing the coolant temperature sensor?

Old 06-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Banned

Straight forward swap-out of defective part with new OEM device (get the electrical connector replaced too) About $40.00 for parts, and an hour's time for you.

That said, I'd run the compression test before doing anything else .... just my opinion

Old 06-14-2013, 07:52 PM

I'll see if I can rent a compression gauge from Autozone tomorrow.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:21 PM

Bad news, she's dead. Tried cranking it with the oil cap off and there is no valve movement whatsoever.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Banned

Broken timing chain, at a guess ... that's what I was afraid of when you said it sounded "different" when ya tried to crank it up.

Gonna have to open this one up, and assess the damage ... sorry about that. Might start looking around for a replacement engine at a wrecking yard.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:05 PM

Yep, if the valves ain't moving, the cam ain't turning. It may be salvageable. I'd' open it up and check it out if it were mine, before condemning the engine.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 PM

If I had a garage and the car was in good shape overall that would be one thing. But I don't and the car still has a slew of other problems. It looks like I would have to drop the transmission to access the timing chain, and there could be valve and piston damage. The transmission is already shifting odd so we're going to cut our losses and buy a new (used) car and haul this one off.

I appreciate the input guys. Who knows, it may be another Saturn.

Quick Reply: 1994 Saturn SL, turning over, no start.