Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1993 SL1 Starting/Running Poorly

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 AM

Hi, I am new to this site, but I am hoping someone here will lend me their knowledge and help me get this problem sorted out. My 1993 SL1 is very difficult to cold start. It will fire right up to about 2000 rpm's, but then instead of settling down to its correct idle speed, it becomes very erratic. The engine will jump around anywhere between 2500 rpm's and stall. If I press the gas, the engine will speed up, but if I hold my foot steady, the engine speed bounces all over the place. If I work the throttle and keep restarting it, I can usually keep it running long enough that it begins to warm up. Once I am confident that it will not stall on me, I can put it in gear and drive it, but it accelerates erratically and stumbles badly. All of these symptoms improve as I drive the car for a while. After maybe a half hour or so of driving, the vehicle will operate almost normally, with stumbling and idle speed fluctuations becoming intermittent and less severe. Also, if I really step on the gas (wide open throttle or nearly WOT), it might stumble for a moment, but then it will accelerate smoothly all the way to redline. The condition has not set an error in the PCM. Also, probably not coincidental is the fact that I just had the car worked on. It was in a parking lot and would not start. That situation is a whole other story, but the short version is that they replaced the fuel injector and fuel filter. The ignition control module, crankshaft position sensor, and spark plugs are also new (replaced by me). The symptoms are very mysterious to me, and if I can't figure it out I will have to take this car in. I really don't want to dump a lot more money into it. Hopefully someone has some ideas. Thanks.
Edited by: sw2cam