Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

'01 SL flexplate damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Default '01 SL flexplate damage

Hey everyone. My '01 SL auto trans has about 4 teeth in a row missing from the flexplate otherwise the teeth are fine. Wouldn't you know it, the engine stopped on the perfect place and the starter wouldn't engage the flexplate; leaving me stranded. The starter is only a couple months old and is tested and works fine. I know I've got 2 options; I can put it back together and hope it doesn't happen again or I can replace my flexplate with a good one. I've looked at autozone and the usual places but can't find a new one. I've heard that almost all Saturns automatics used the same flexplate. Is that true? If so, does anyone have one laying around? Its my driver car and I need it back on the road asap but also need it to be reliable.

Also, how tough of a job is it to replace the flexplate? I hear that you can just lower the cradle and move the trans into the wheel well on the drivers side.

Thanks in advance

-Tim

Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 PM

You may be able to get enough space between the trans and the flexplate to unbolt and remove the flexplate without dropping the cradle or removing the engine. I have a Saturn parts yard, and I was just looking at a spare engine and trans to see where everything is. I would attempt to do the job as I mentioned. The trans to engine bolts are long enough to use as guides. Do not back them all the way out. After unbolting the torque converter and pushing into the trans as far as possible, you should be able to see what you are up against. You may have to modify a combo wrench to get to the flywheel bolts. Good luck, and keep us posted.