I need help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:19 AM
Default I need help please

Hi Guys I am new member , I just registered yesterday
i bought 2009 Saturn outlook 2 weeks ago, it has 174k
30 mnts after I left the dealership , the engine light is on and the message shown on the dashboard says
transmision hot idle engine, I was so upset and I called the dealership, they said they are not responsible because they sell the car as is, on my way home I pulled over 3 times , the message disappeared when I get home, I bought OBD2 scanner to find out the problem, and the result I need to replace Transmission control module. My question is: do you think I just get rid of the car or keep it, if I keep it first thing the mileage is high, second thing I worry the next problem will come over and over again.
thank you in advance for your attention and help

regard
David

Old 07-15-2018, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome! Please tell us the code, pxxxx. If it is a P0218 the transmission might be just overfilled with fluid. Let us know.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:49 PM
Default 2009 Saturn Outlook

Dear 02 LW300
thabk you for the response
the code is U0101

best Regards
David

Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

The problem with U0101 is it may be wiring not the tcm. This appears to be somewhat common on this series of GM products that are the same as your Saturn model. You must live where there are no ethics laws dealing with used car sales. Do you have a better business bureau where you live? You may have some recourse with this dealer. They obviously knew the problem exisited.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Don't clear the code.

Use your scanner to check the I/M monitors.
Tell us which ones say ready and which say not ready.

If the codes are cleared on an OBDIi vehicle, allthal monitors are set to not ready until self diag by the computer says otherwise. This keeps people from clearing codes and then driving down the street to get the car inspected.

My point is that if they cleared the codes right before giving you the car, a bunch of the monitors may show as not ready. Well this has nothing to do with your problem directly, it kind of gives a timestamp to the to the series of events.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:54 AM
Default 2009 Saturn outlook

I bought the car from small dealership ship like family business, do you think I have to take the car to the dealership? I am afraid they will charge me a lot.
how do you know the problems coming from the wiring? Do you have same experience before?

thank you
David
Originally Posted by 02 LW300
The problem with U0101 is it may be wiring not the tcm. This appears to be somewhat common on this series of GM products that are the same as your Saturn model. You must live where there are no ethics laws dealing with used car sales. Do you have a better business bureau where you live? You may have some recourse with this dealer. They obviously knew the problem exisited.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

The problem MAY be the wiring or the TCM. It might be cheaper to diagnose the problem rather than throwing parts at it. You will actually need to find a good ethical mechanic that is willing to work on your car.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:19 PM
Default 2009 Saturn outlook

Ok thank you very much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

One more question, is Saturn reliable car? It has 175k when I bought it 2 weeks a=

do I need to keep it or sell it?And how much longer I still can drive it from now? Is the car still good till 5 years later? Sorry if I have too much question because this is the first time I bought car and get ripped off.

Thank youDavid.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Your car is actually part of a series of GM cars that include your Saturn, the Buick Enclave, the Chevrolet Traverse and the GMC Acadia. If you look up the wiki article there is a Lot of information available. They sold a lot of GMC And Chevy versions so one of their forums may have more information on longevity for you. I don’t think we have any regulars here that have your model.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:56 PM

Thank you very much, nice talking to you. I hope you don’t mind if ask you more questions later on
have a goodnight

best regard
David

Quick Reply: I need help please