I blew it up!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 09:01 PM

We bought a new car today. Didnt trade in the Saturn. Every 20 years a new car, not bad! When it is warmer, I'll be looking into it. I live in Wisconsin where sub-frames go to die!

I really need to determine why the oil is leaking so badly around the oil pump. I've seen oil separator PCV valve units offered, but when you try to order them its a no go. All it really needs is the Reed Valve part to be renewed.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

I lived in Madison for 7 years back in the 90's.
They didn't salt much because of the lakes.

But there was still plenty enough to go around.

Wadddddya get?

Old 02-26-2020, 06:52 AM
Default Options

Without a reliable vehicle, everything was in jeopardy. I had been driving my wife to work with a 1996 Dodge Ram which gets approx. 9 gpm in the city... our objective here was gas gpm! After test driving and researching many brands, we purchased a Toyota Yaris Hatchback LE. It's wheelbase is only a few inches shorter than the LS2 and it drives on the same type of suspension (for the most part). You wouldn't think a 1.5L 106 hp engine would not be enough for the wife after driving a rocket for 20 years, but it races alone just fine! It is a blast to drive and it has a manual mode which definitely would not beat a Saturn V6, but it is fun. The only two drawbacks is all traffic tries to pass this vehicle perhaps because it looks so small and they can't stand driving behind it. It is built by Mazda for Toyota. We drove the Mazda 3 which is the next gen Mazda, but wife didn't like it and its gas mileage wasn't nearly as good.

So now the question about the Saturn. Do we rebuild and pimp it out completely and toss the Dodge? We have options now and time to get it done within a tight budget.

Wait, I did visit that wholegm etc... site and they had previously said that part was no longer available. At least that's what I thought, but I entered the cart and it appears the Oil Separator is available. Darnit, I would have bought this part before rebuilding mine!

Derf Question about "Don't forget to hold the throttle wide open and to pull the fuel injector fuse." Are you serious? Does this empty the fuel lines or what?

Last edited by RjAquaponics; 02-26-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:57 AM

Derf, the part you listed is the right part. What website did you find that at? I would like to see if it is actually available or not. Many sites have this part in their listings but when you try to order it, it's out of stock.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Link is below the picture in my post

Old 02-26-2020, 08:30 AM

I see the link now. I'm not used to this forum format. I had looked at auto parts stores, on-line and off, gm parts, asked on another forum, but I never found this source! Our separator can is fine, I really only need the push in little rubber REED valve. So yes, it's pricy, but its an option - thanks!

Old 04-02-2020, 07:11 PM

I took the engine apart again. Cleaned the plugs and found a small gasket issue with the intake where the gasket rolled out of the groove and split, but I think it was still sealing. I put the gasket back into the groove and used a bit of ATV around the area. I didn't find any socket in the engine. I did rebuild the reed value in the PCV module so that it will open much easier. I sanded the viton rubber so it could move more freely. Today, I put it back together and this is what I wrote on the other forum and I'm copying you hear for advice.

I've got the Saturn put back together, AGAIN! I cleaned the plugs and modified the PCV to make the DIY reed value move easier. It started right up this time, but shut off shortly after it came down to idle. Restarted and rev-ed it above 2k and runs smooth a silk. It would come down to idle after running a bit, but it was making a back fire type sound. I didn't hear metal noise this time, but I didn't have the hood open.

I am thinking maybe the timing belt retarded 1 tooth during this mess or possibly an injector is getting stuck in the ON position and a cylinder is firing when it is not suppose to.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the spark occur more than once in the 4 stroke cycle to attempt to burn off unused fuel before the exhaust stroke? I don't know where I am getting this information from, but it would make sense. When I had the intake/injectors apart the first time, I sprayed each of them to "attempt" to clean them. Maybe one is sticking ON. Could this be the noise I was hearing? Perhaps I just need to take the boetch out on the highway when nobody is around and open it up and see what happens!

Needless the say, the Saturn is now taking up room in the apartment parking lot. I plan on running the engine every couple of days to see if anything improves. I've got a can of Sea Foam... maybe I'll dump that in the tank to see if it helps. i still need to find the source of the massive oil leak that is dripping down on to the exhaust pipe that wraps around the front of the engine.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:36 PM

I dont believe the Saturn 3L V-6 ignition is a "lost spark" type.
It only fires on the compression stroke.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

I concur -- I think that was a 4cyl S car thing. The s cars had no cam position sensor

Old 04-09-2020, 01:34 PM

I have ran the engine a couple of times and each time it seems to run better. It is still leaking oil like a dead whale (not a good analogy coming from a vegan) LOL The sea foam appears to be helping free up whatever was causing the noise and poor running conditions. I still think I have a vacuum leak to find and some how stop the oil leak. I posted a long post on the saturnfans about how to access the PCV module with the least amount of disassembly. It's a series of threads with photos. I would post it here, but it's a lot work to do so. I would post the link if that would be okay with this forum to do so. I'll want for answer before I post the link.

Quick Reply: I blew it up!