broken sun visor

Old 08-11-2015, 08:27 PM
Default broken sun visor

My LW300 had a broken sun visor on the passenger's side. I think our grandson may have had something to do with it since he was the one who broke the cover off the mirror. My wife took it to the nearby GM Pontiac dealer and they disconnected the lead to the lights so they wouldn't stay on all the time. Anyway, it ended up with a broken neck, or so it seemed. If the left end of the visor was in the holder, it would stay in place okay, but as soon as you snapped it out of the bracket, the whole visor would swing way down on and dangle there just about useless. I decided to get brave, or stupid, the other day and look into it. I could not believe the way it was made up there out of sight above the upholstery. Plastic rules the day, folks. And there it was- all plastic. Plastic, nylon or whatever it is, does not age well and it does not glue right, either. Thank God He did not make me with plastic bones!
Anyway, after I got it apart I had no idea how to fix it. I tried winding wire around it while holding the broken part fast to the whole fixture with small vice grips, but that did not work at all because as I tightened the wire, it kept breaking. Then I thought of something else and fooled around with that quite a while until I finally got everything in the right position and all back together like it should be. I tried it out and voila! Take a look at the photos and you can see what I did. That is if I can get the photos uploaded right, and if they are of a good size to be viewed properly. Here I go now, to see what I can do with the pics. Wish me luck! Thank you!
Ron K.
Derf, how did I do?

Attached Thumbnails broken sun visor-broken-visor-1.jpg   broken sun visor-broken-visor-2.jpg  
Old 08-12-2015, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

Like you're surprised it's plastic. Hopefully the heat will not cause the plastic to expand inside the clamp and hasten it's demise.

If it were mine, I'd be tempted to buy a new bulb for it, install, then epoxy the plastic together, then put the clamp on ASAP before the epoxy starts curing, cinch it up, and hope it holds together until whenever.

You may wish to hit up a junkyard to get a replacement plate and cut off the light socket (or remove at connector if there is one) for BOTH sides -- in case this one keeps crumbling. The side you haven't done is just as dry rotted as the one that broke and the used parts will only become harder to find as time goes by....

Also:

Please create a signature like ours

First Name/Location (State)
year model engine tranny mileage (for all Saturns)

top right of screen>>click on username>>user CP>> edit signature on left side menu.

Congrats on your 11th post.

Looks like we're stuck w you

Old 08-12-2015, 10:27 PM

I'd put a heavy duty zip tie around the sum beech, if it was mine.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 AM

That is too funny- a heavy duty zip tie. Ha. Derf, what you said about junkyards brings back a lot of memories. I had a 1965 Caddy when we lived in Maine. What a car! I had to resort to junkyards many times to find parts. I knew where every junkyard was in the Southern part of Maine that had a Caddy with parts that would fit mine. I've been all over the things, even when they were upside down. When I sold the car it had 325k on it and ran like a top. I gave away 10 big boxes of extra parts I'd collected for it when I sold it. One issue with them was the starters. I found out that rebuilt starters all used the same case for all the GM cars. That meant that I often installed a starter that had a winding (the wiring in the case shell) for a Chevy. A starter with a Chevy winding had too much trouble trying to start the car. Those were the days when you could replace just the solenoid. Remember that? :-)

Old 08-13-2015, 07:30 AM

I sold a lot of solenoids for small block chevys over the 5 years I toiled with Autozone. Sold quite a few starter drives too because the idiots driving them refused to buy a pack of shims to get the proper spacing from the bendix to flywheel too.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:33 AM

Charlie, ever drive one of the original Chrysler 300s? Amazing cars!

Old 08-13-2015, 06:24 PM

No, I sure wish I had the opportunity, though. They were before my days of driving. I learned in my Dads 62 Imperial LeBaron with a 413 V-8 and Carter 4bbl carb. Fast son of a gun for it's size. And then there was my oldest brothers 68 Roadrunner with the 383 Commando. Even faster!

Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 PM

I drove a 300B. That would be a 1956 if I remember right. It had 2 four barrels on it. Everything about the car was balanced; all the parts in the engine and even the wheel covers. The rings were chrome plated- industrial chrome. They cleaned up at Daytona when they came out, but the engine almost bankrupted Chrysler because of their size and weight.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 AM

Yeah, Dad had a 56 New Yorker when I was just a little kid. It had the 331 hemi in it and my older two brothers used to run the hell out it, according to them. Had the two speed Powerflite trans with the shifter on the dash. He also had a 58 New Yorker with the 392 hemi, long before I was old enough to drive. Mom killed the 55 in a roll over and the 58 slung a rod at 100+mph with Dad driving.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:26 AM

That 300B wasn't impressive until it got up to about 35 mph. Then the thing felt like it was running away with me! I had a '57 Olds 98 convertible that came from the factory with the J2 setup- 3 carbs. That had so much torque that the driveshaft was kinking enough to make the universal joint hit the floor. I got a couple leaves from some springs in a junkyard to reinforce each side and that stopped it. You could do 100 mph on the middle carb, stomp on it and the other 2 carbs would kick in and you were OFF and RUNNING! Zooooooooooooooom! :-)