General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Sun roof won't work

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Default Sun roof won't work

So I just bought a 2001 SC2 and it's overall a 7.5/10. All the electrics work except the sunroof. I checked the fuses and they are all good. I pulled the switch/vanity plate thinking I could easily access the switch but it appears not to be so.

Do these switches have a tendency to go bad or is the motor toast? There is no motor noise whatsoever when I try the switch.

Any thought will be helpful.

Thx. Doug

Old 06-08-2015, 07:07 PM

Are you sure you got the right fuse, Doug? Maybe it's one under the hood in that fuse box. I don't know, since I've never owned a sunroof equipped Saturn. IF you can reach the motor, try unplugging it and see if there's power to it with a test light. If you have power, it's probably the switch. No power, either a fuse or wiring issue.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:01 AM

Rubehaysee, is there more than one fuse box? I did check all the fuses in the engine compartment fuse box and they are all good (driving lights don't work either but I haven't pulled the bulbs yet). I know older GM vehicles had fuse boxes in the glove box area. I need to pick up a repair manual for it too.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 AM

Yes indeed! You have a fuse box on the passenger side of your console. Look at the console where your left knee would be if you're sitting in the passenger seat and you should see the little door. Pull the cover and it should be labeled. THAT should be where the fuse for the sunroof is, not under the hood.

Last edited by Rubehayseed; 06-11-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Rube meant left knee/PASSENGER seat.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:02 AM

Rube, I'll check for the fuse box tonight. Thanx.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:52 AM

Sure enough, there's the secondary fuse box and yep the sunroof fuse is missing, and for good reason. I replaced the fuse it and hit the switch... GRIND GRIND CLUNK CLUNK! It's toast.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:03 AM

Well, if it's making noise, it might not be the motor, but the drive gear. If it was mine, I'd just leave the fuse out and never use it. But it's not mine, so good luck with the repair if that's your plan.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

The sunroofs one the s series have always been problematic. I believe there are plastic pieces that are part of the drive system or guide rails that snap and render the sunroof inoperable. I believe Uncljohn has dealt with his. Can't remember if he got it working.

Search the site and the net for people in the same predicament. Not sure if parts still available from gm or aftermarket. If it seals on its own you're ahead of the game. Otherwise you need to get out the silicone.

Also, keep the drains clear. Search the site for info regarding where and how.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:51 PM

I'm sure it the drive system. not going to bother with it. Out comes the fuse...

Quick Reply: Sun roof won't work