'04 l300 V6 confused owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 10:13 AM
Default '04 l300 V6 confused owner

Good morning. Ok- got couple issues got me stumped. 1st - brakes. Pedal is Rock hard and I have to either start stopping half mile back or lick them up lol. They are seizing up too holding the car back. All pads are in good shape, no air in lines, passes pressure test for master . Ideas? 2nd- she decides now and then that she doesn't want to start. As soon as cables touch it she fires right up.New battery , starter good, wires good

Old 05-25-2021, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sherrifisher76
Good morning. Ok- got couple issues got me stumped. 1st - brakes. Pedal is Rock hard and I have to either start stopping half mile back or lick them up lol. They are seizing up too holding the car back. All pads are in good shape, no air in lines, passes pressure test for master . Ideas? 2nd- she decides now and then that she doesn't want to start. As soon as cables touch it she fires right up.New battery , starter good, wires good
No sure what you mean by 'lick them up"
Is it all the brakes or just one or more ?
Starting issue could be the cables arent tight.
I have encountered that on the side mount battery.
The bolt bottoms out but the cable is not real tight.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Power brake booster/check valve?

Failing cell in battery. Doesn't matter that it's brand new. Or cables not clean and tight. Next time it doesn't start, try wiggling the cables one at a time and see if that changes the behavior.

And don't lick your brakes. That's asbestos in there you know

Last edited by derf; 05-26-2021 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

You probably have a bad brake booster. I am a lifelong professional mechanic and the booster/master cylinder is different than anything I have worked on in 45 years. The length adjustment is critical and when the booster fails it can hold the brakes on a little bit.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:13 AM

I'm in agreement with the other guys. As for the brakes, maybe it's just a bad check valve and not the master cylinder or booster. Does the pedal move at all if you put your foot on in and then start the car? It SHOULD move some if you have your foot on it and start the engine. If it doesn't move, I agree 100% with Andy that it's the booster. How many miles are on the car? Did you also inspect the rubber brake hoses and make sure they're not breaking down? Maybe that's the problem with the brakes locking up on you. Is it just one, two, three or all four wheels? We need a tad more information. If it's just one or two, then front or rear? See where I'm heading? NEED MORE INFO.

Last edited by Rubehayseed; 05-26-2021 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:08 PM

Replace the rubber brake hoses. They are restricting the flow and causing the hard pedal and holding the brakes when you release.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Is this recommendation from personal experience?

I've only read about this sticking brake issue on 2nd gen vues, as far as Saturns go.

​​Not challenging you.
Asking to learn about your experience.

Old 05-27-2021, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by derf

I've only read about this sticking brake issue on 2nd gen vues, as far as Saturns go.

​​Not challenging you.
I experienced a restricted brake hose on my 2002 L300. Locked the brake up tight.
I detailed the experience on another Saturn site.

Old 05-27-2021, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by derf

​​Not challenging you.
I experienced a restricted brake hose on my 2002 L300. Locked the brake up tight.
I detailed the experience on another Saturn site.
Also recently a coworker had it happen to his 2008 Aura

Old 05-27-2021, 05:34 PM

Yes, I'm speaking from experience. Had both front hoses on my 06 Vue swell up and restrict the flow causing hard pedal and slow release of the brakes. Also had the same problem on a 1995 Ford Taurus only the rear brakes but same symptoms. You can't tell from looking at the hose, externally they look fine, but inside they are swelled up to the point that the fluid is restricted.

Quick Reply: '04 l300 V6 confused owner