Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

PCM Code? P0601

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Banned
Default PCM Code? P0601

I own a 2000 lw200. Issues odometer is mad at 356,000 up from 75,000 in 3 months, temp gauge jumps, now car cuts off randomly, no power to windows. mechanic found a pcm p0601 code . He does not deal with the programming of PCm. My question is where is the pcm on this model. Where is bcm and ecm and do I need a bcm and ecm also, or just a pcm if code says pcm p0601. Does pcm need to be reprogrammed if I get it from junk yard, and does it have to come from same year car. Where is pcm located, pictures and diagram please

Sorry I forgot to mention my trans is slipping, hard shifting. I saw that the pcm code p0601 is related to the transmission and not the other issues. Went to junkyard today and pulled dash cluster and bcm, but didn't buy it because wasn't the exact same year. Advice .

Thanks

Last edited by wallybeans1; 05-16-2015 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Add new info
Old 05-17-2015, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Read all the way through this before deciding what to do:

1) dash issues (odometer, gauges)locks sound like classic BCM issues.
2) Car cutting off -- is it random or is it when the engine is warm?
--->could be CKP (crank Posit Sensor)
3) P0601 is for PCM memory issues; as such has been known to affect trans shifting

SWAGs

A) The PCM may be hosed and in turn is hosing the BCM.

I have never read of the two going bad at the same time, but anything's possible. Might be a wiring /chafed insulation situation where some wiring between the two shorted out and damaged them both. I'd check the wiring between the two.

B) The PCM may be bad. If you choose to replace, used from ebay or others or possibly new from GM but I doubt it. If you go used, get a PCM from a 2000 lw200 automatic. Same year, same tranny, and a wagon. I don't know that it has to be from a lw200 wagon--you can read up on that.

C) The BCM may be bad. At first glance this COULD explain everything EXCEPT the P0601, which is why this is all so perplexing. No need to replace your cluster. Just know if you replace the BCM w a used one you cannot reset the mileage as far as I know.

No matter what you replace (BCM, PCM, or both), they each have to be flashed at a GM dealer to match your vehicle.

$64M question: Did the odo freak/gauge freak/rough shifts all start at exactly the same moment, AND did the SES set at that moment OR was this a gradual onset and worsening of symptoms?

D) Bite the bullet and pay $100 for diag at a chevy dealership---It's $100 up front that may save you more than that in the long run

Last edited by derf; 05-17-2015 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:39 AM
Banned

Thanks Derf. I bought the car with majority of these issues. But. The cutting off just started 2 weeks ago and is random, cold or warm. , everything else was ongoing. Do you know where the pcm is located. I found the bcm. the mechanic diagnostic brought back the p0601 code and that's it.

Last edited by wallybeans1; 05-17-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

1) a pcm replacement + flash/reflash to match your options for those with a P0601 who were experiencing intermittent cut out issues solved that problem along with the P0601 code, the rough shifting, etc.

2) It may also be a failing CKP (Crank Posit Sensor), which often intermittently flakes out, goes open circuit, sends no signal to the PCM, which kills spark and fuel

bad CKP-->no spark + no signal to fuel injectors--> engine will stop running/stall/not run/not start /not anything but crank....

IMPORTANT: When the car cuts out and stalls -- are you able to restart it right away or do you have to wait some time to get it started again?/ If you can start it again immediately, I do not believe the CKP is at fault for the cut out behavior.

If it IS problematic to restart immediately, check the resistance of the CKP to see if it is in spec (about 700-1200 ohms). If out of spec, replace CKP

The CKP is not an overly expensive part (I'm guessing under $40);. However, while replacement of the CKP MAY address your stalling issues, it may not. and replacement of the CKP will likely not solve the P0601.

PCM/ECM/ECU/Whatever: Supposedly mounted right up next to the right strut tower under the hood with two connectors going into it.

Again, if you go to replace it with used, get one from same year and same trans. Online stores show 2 diff models for remans, but they do not list the difference.