Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

Oil cooler banjo bolt #12992646

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 09:10 PM
Default Oil cooler banjo bolt #12992646

Hi Folks,

I actually don't own a Saturn, but a good friend of mine does and I am trying to help him out. I am a car guy and something seems odd about his situation. He took his car to a mechanic that is telling him he needs to replace the oil cooler. As part of this replacement there are two banjo bolts which are GM 12992646. According to the mechanic and a bunch of parts websites this part has been discontinued for quite some time. I have a bunch of questions:

1. Is there any reason to believe the existing bolts would be bad? I believe the concern is that they break off if you try to remove them.
2. Does anyone have a cross reference sheet for GM bolts? I found this part number being used on Open, Vauxhahl and a couple of other makes, but no alternates for the bolt.
3. Any advice on finding a pair of these?

Thanks,
Ed

Old 01-18-2022, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Well it is in all likelihood metric. Are any of the threads exposed that you could get a diameter and thread pitch from. Then try to match it up?

They both does not apply to banjo bolts of course. Maybe dropdead can get you some

There was a teenager who used to pump gas in my neighborhood in New Jersey. She was cute, funny and had a wicked sense of humor which is different than funny. When I first met her, all the other customers were yelling something at her and I couldn't understand what it was. I asked her. She said oh that's my nickname. Poof. I asked why. She said because sometimes I'm here and then poof I'm gone.

Sorry that was completely triggered by the thought of dropDead making parts appear from nowhere. Like he has a time portal part machine which is different than a pick-a-pull.

I should go take my meds

Have a fine ish day.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:45 AM

Amusing strory

Hey @DropDead , any chance you have one of these?

Thank you,
Ed

Old 01-18-2022, 10:04 AM

I'll run the part number this evening and make sure its what I'm thinking of.
how quickly are you needing it?

Old 01-18-2022, 01:42 PM

I think my friend would like it soon... Apparently it leaks slowly so he would like to fix it before it get worse..

He is looking for two of these banjo bolts...

Old 01-18-2022, 04:22 PM

I'll def check this evening for yuh.

I only asked how soon because if I don't have any it would be this weekend before I can get to the salvage yard

Old 01-18-2022, 08:15 PM

Its coming back as a v6. Which I won't have laying around.

Shoot me a pic. I can grab some from the junk yard this weekend of interested

Old 01-19-2022, 07:45 AM

@DropDead , his mechanic is saying that once they are used they get stretched and can't be used again. Does anyone have experience with this? It sounds like BS to me since they are not like head-bolts that get stretched as part of the torquing process... You don't stretch a banjo bolt because they would split, right?

Old 01-19-2022, 08:08 AM

Most flexible brake lines have a banjo fitting on them and they get reused over and over. You just need to put a new copper washer on them. Sounds to me like he needs to find a COMPETENT mechanic. What say you, Billy and Andy?

Old 01-19-2022, 06:59 PM

Id personally go with a new copper washer and go about my day. But thats me.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler banjo bolt #12992646