Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

new saturn owner to older saturn

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 03:06 AM
Default new saturn owner to older saturn

hey guys,

I haven't had my '97 SL2 for no more than 2 years now. it was previously my boyfriends, and after our accident in 2011, he gave it to me. I had the front end fixed so it was drivable, but that's not the problem.

The A/C has never really worked. We tried charging the Freon, it held for a couple weeks and quit working. It doesn't really blow cold air like most A/Cs do but its do-able (sometimes). Summer is starting and I want it working. I have had tests done to see if there were any leaks or holes and there weren't any.

so next to the charging of Freon and the tests, I can't figure out why it will not work. the heater works just fine. I was wondering if I could get any suggestions before I decide to replace the entire A/C system (if necessary).

Anything will help!!

Last edited by sw2cam; 06-08-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:06 AM

Have you checked the fuses? Also, you may want to check the wiring harness and make sure the compressor is plugged in.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:32 AM

The operation of the A/C is completely independent of that of the heater. That you have had it "Charged" and it worked only indicates that at one point in time there was nothing wrong with it.
That it worked for a period of time and quit would indicate that there was a leak in the system and the refrigerant leaked out.
This of course can be checked to see if there is anything in it.
What method was used to indicate if there are any leaks? A leak that takes place over a long period of time might not be seen depending on how it was checked for leaks.
A front end accident indicates generally that the A/C lines were damaged and replaced. Each of the "connections" have an "O" ring in them or some form of gasket to keep them from leaking however removing and re-installing a connection can damage them.
There are a number of things that need to take place in order for the A/C to function. The computer that runs your car has to be satisfied with a few of them and on the compressor is a high and low pressure switch. If either condition exists, the switches on the compressor will not let it turn on.
Like all complex systems on new cars (well new technology, 1997 is no longer new) a failure of one of them takes some one who knows what to look for and how to go about it to find out what is going on.
To start with you say if charged it works
Then it quits
This implies a leak.
You have had it tested there is no leak.
That is inconsistent with the results of when it does work.
The pressure can be measured.. If there is no pressure than the result of the leak test is not valid.
That is where I would start.
And with those symptoms it sounds to me like you first need a better repairman.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Banned

Dunno if they'll do it or not, but stop by AutoZone (or some such similar) and see if they will put a set of gauges on your car and check the A/C pressures. Just a suggestion ...