Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

New member...just checking in!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 01:54 PM
Default New member...just checking in!

Hi everybody! I’m new to the site so not quite sure how all of this works but I like what I’ve seen so far on here! I’m hoping to get some help with my Saturn! It’s a 2000 LS1 (I think)! It actually belongs to my mom but I am currently using it & its having some issues! Yesterday I stopped to talk to someone, put the car in park & the shifter moved to park & got stuck there while the car remained in drive! I drove it home, engaged the emergency brake & turned the car off! Now I need to figure out where the problem is so I can fix it! Any ideas?

Old 07-27-2018, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Does it look like this? If so it an L series car, I can help you with this car.

Attached Thumbnails New member...just checking in!-2c56b1d0-b916-4d69-a68b-05454feb812f.jpeg  
Old 07-27-2018, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Does the car restart or just no crank? I suspect the shift cable either failed or became disconnected. It is mounted on a ball at the transmission end, I will have to look at a shifter to see how it is mounted at that end. The shift cable connects to the transmission right below the brake master cylinder. I can take pictures tomorrow when I get home from work of the shift cable area. The neutral safety switch is mounted on the transmission so if the transmission itself is still in drive the car will not start.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:57 PM

Here’s a pic of the hoses...I think it’s the one on the right that’s leaking!
Yes...it looks a whole lot like that one! I actually had time to look at it better today & figures out where it came loose & it was the cable end that is under the hood! I’m not exactly sure what held it on before...I’m assuming some type of cap (of sorts) but I’m working on a homemade solution at the moment! To answer some of ur other questions tho, the car wouldn’t start...the key wouldn’t even turn until I reattached the cable & put it in park! I removed the shifter cover the other day to see if the problem was there & figured out how to move the white plastic safety piece that had the shifter locked in park so when I found where the cable came loose today, I shifted it down to line up with the cable & put it in park which allowed me to actually start the car! I could probably drive it as is but may have issues with it popping off again since there’s nothing really holding it on there! I’ll let ya know if my homemade solution works & thank u so much for responding! I’m gonna keep u on standby for future issues if that’s ok! In fact, I have a question for u...there r 2 hoses that r about an inch-inch & a half in diameter that come out of the “under the hood” side of the dash just above where that cable comes out! One is leaking what looks to be water (sorry I’m not real good at actual terminology)! I’m thinking they may be to the heater core but not sure! Is that something I should worry about...maybe fix right away & if so, what would I need to fix it?

Last edited by Season1223; 07-29-2018 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 07-29-2018, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Let me go look, I think there is a clip. The top two aluminum pipes are a/c, the large rubber hoses are heater. The air conditioner condensation drain is between and directly below the heater hoses. It will drain water on the ground, this is normal. If you are leaking coolant which I doubt it will be a different color and the radiator tank will be low.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

It is a ball.

Attached Thumbnails New member...just checking in!-133b2874-1de3-494c-93bd-f42ea8337ab9.jpeg   New member...just checking in!-9d7fc27c-fa06-4db6-bdc5-63f520f25cdb.jpeg  
Old 07-29-2018, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

A dorman 14055 transmission cable repair kit might work. It fits a Chevy Cavalier and they use the same transmission.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:55 PM

Thanks! I might check into that repair kit! For now I rigged a rubber earbud cover (the ones that u can change out to make ur earbuds different colors...it fit over the piece almost perfect but I wanted it to be a lil tighter so I superglued a piece of rubber band around the bottoms lip of it...it fits snug and holds it on pretty well for the time being...we’ll see how it holds up! Lol!
As for the hoses, they do have clips on them & I saw the ac drain too but the ac doesn’t work in this one & it does lose a little radiator fluid! Do u think if I replaced the hoses it would stop the leak?

Old 07-29-2018, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Do you see the leak on the ground? Usually it is the water pump that leaks first on these cars. If it is leaking from that hose it has a release built into the hose end itself. It is sealed by an o-ring at the heater core end. There is a spring clamp at the engine end. There is probably a you-tube on how to release the heater core end.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:24 AM

Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in TN are you? I'm a TN native that transplanted to FL a little over 3 years ago. HUGE MISTAKE. Looking to move back in the next year or two. I don't know anything about the L series cars, but Andy sure does. Listen to him and you can't go wrong. Make sure you keep posting because if you don't, your account will be deleted.

Quick Reply: New member...just checking in!