Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

Need help with removing seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Question Need help with removing seat

Hi. I'm trying to remove/replace the front carpet in my 2002 L200. The problem is that I can't find access to the mounting bolts for the driver's seat. Can anybody help me with this situation? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:28 PM

I don't know about yours, but mine had star shaped bolts in both the front and rear of the rail that the seat slides on. I think they're either an E8 or E10 socket size but don't remember exactly which. Two brain surgeries will scramble your memory.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:31 PM

Yes, I was able to easily get the passenger seat out with the Torx bit, but the mounting bolts for the driver's seat are blocked by the rail/frame. This is a serious issue as I cannot remove/replace the carpet without removing both front seats. Even the console came out easily, and that with the driver's seat still solidly in place

Last edited by TMBer; 05-18-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

no need to double post

Old 05-18-2012, 07:33 AM

I don't understand how they could be blocked. I'm guessing you've tried moving the seat all the way forward and aft to get to the bolts. That worked on mine with no problems at all. Maybe a long extension on your ratchet?

Old 05-18-2012, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

just throwing this out there---can you take off the rails with the seat attached, thus accomplishing your goal? Don't know L cars......

Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 AM

I have moved the seat to all positions available: forward, aft, up, down, and everywhere in between. No matter what position it is in I have yet to figure out how to get to the bolts. There are only two mounting bolts, both at the back end of the slide rail, just like the passenger side but the problem is that they are never exposed enough (completely covered by the slide) to even reach in to touch them with anything but a wire, which could never be of use in actually turning the bolts. I've looked at the Chilton's manual but there is nothing mentioned at all about removal of the seats there.

As for taking off the rails with the seat attached, I looked at that as a possibility and found that to not be an option, at least not from what I am seeing.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:30 PM

I've never pulled the seat from a L car ........... but you have to be missing something like an access hole. My detailers had the seats out on every car that was put on the lot.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:14 PM

Y'all are gonna have a great big laugh at my expense. But that's ok cuz I deserve it. The whole problem with moving the seat far enough forward was too much money. Let me explain. There was a dime that somehow got into the track and was jammed up at the front mounting hook and stopped forward travel of the seat on its track. Well, one good tap with a hammer & chisel and it came out, the seat went forward properly, and I was able to remove the seat just like it was designed to be done.

Thanks for all the input. I sure do appreciate it.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 AM

We have all had stuff like that happen to us at one time or another. At least you have a good sense of humor and can laugh about it. Thanks for sharing and letting us know that you got the seat out.

Quick Reply: Need help with removing seat