Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

LW300 Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM

Well i ended up finding a company to either repair or reman. my Ecm i sent it to them and it was unrepairable so they built and programmed another unit and said i may ned to program the passlock. I did the install and it will not start i tried the relearn process for the passlock but its not working i know that the problem if i spray some starting fluid in the intake it fires plus i hear the fuel pump so the injectors are not spraying. Anyone had relearn problems and can someone tell me the exact process to do the relearn so i can see if its me doing it wrong?

Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 AM

As far as I know at the moment the car involved is a 2002 LW300 Saturn Wagon. Some one may know your answer and be able to write it out for you.
I can look in my service data to see what it says.
But, hearing the fuel pump run and spraying starting fluid into the intake does not intake a solution that points at anything yet other than seeming to say that IF gasoline would get into the engine it probably would run.
I have found on working on the complexity of the modern engine that a fuel pressure gauge was almost essential. A difference then working on a carbureted car. Which I have done a lot and never once needed one.
Also some voltage measuring tool that can determine that there is a signal voltage at the injector that is telling it to pulse fluid.
With this post the assumption seems to be that Fluid is there and the injectors are not working.
And I have no clue how true that is.
Also what ever this passlock problem is I do not know.
However it is something that I may have enough information on to find out what it is, what it affects and how to deal with it.
I have a feeling knowing what codes you are dealing with at the moment too might be important.
But at O-dark-30 in the AM and I am typing because I can not sleep, I am going back to bed. I have a doctors appointment at 8:00 and some chores to do. And when I can during the day I will get my service software fires up and see what it says and type something back at you in detail, or as much as I can anyway.
Until then.
Have the best day you can.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Banned

I gotta agree with UnclJohn -- slap a fuel pressure meter on the rail, and check for proper pressure. Pumps can run, and still pump nothing ...

Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 PM

The pump has never had a problem maintaining 43psi at the rail that was the first thing i checked from day one and again with the new Ecm. When i get in and turn the key over all the lights flash and the security light is flashing away and it will not shift out of park plus power options shut down all of which is controlled by the passlock system.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 AM

O.K., I finally got back to this and as long as no one else has this will have to do.
Programming Engine Control Module
After replacing ECM or if program needs to be updated, refer to latest techline information on ECM reprogramming. After Reprogramming, perform Programming Theft Deterrent System Components.
Note:
Passlock (R) learn procedure must be performed when Passlock (R) sensor, BCM or ECM are replaced. If only Passlock (R) sensor, BCM or ECM are eplaced. Inly Passlock (R)sensor was replaced, auto learn method may be used. BCM or ECM Replacement requires Saturn Service Stall method.
Saturn Service Stall method require use of Tech 2 Scan tool
Auto learn method
Note if ignition is turned off before Security indicator light changes state, relearn procedure must be restarted.

1) Check BCM and ECM for existing DTC's. If DTC's exist, repair as necessary and go to next step. If no DTC's exist go to next step.
2) Turn ignition switch to RUN position. Momentarily turn ignition swich to start position. Do not start vehicle. Wait 10 minutes. When Security indicator light changes from flashing to off or from on to off, turn ignition switch to off, or from on to off, turn ignition switch to off position. Perform this process 3 times. After the third time, vehicle should start on next ignition cycle.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Default Service Stall method.

Saturn Service Stall Method
Note, if ignition is turned of before security indicator light changes state, relearn procedure must be restarted.
1) (paraphrased) if DTC's exist fix them. End of Paraphrased.

Install scan tool. Turn ignition switch to Run position. Using scan tool, select passlock (R)relearn procedure. Wait 10 min. When security indicator light changes from flashing to off,or from on to off, turn ignition switch to off position.
Vehicle should start on next ignition cycle.

Now this is all the information I have on this as stated anyway. I hope that it is of some value to some one some where because after reading it a few times and then typing it out it just barely makes any sense to me.

Good Luck.

Of course some of this assumes that there is service data available some where. A problem when the company has gone out ob business and the now replacement dealer rather than fixing the Saturn wants to sell you a Yugo or what ever it is that they sell instead with out bothering to mention that by the end of the week, their pet car will be gone.

Last edited by uncljohn; 01-08-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

sounds like unless you have access to a GM Tech II scanner you'll need a visit to a GM dealership

Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 AM

Yes sounds that way i tried the process without the tech2 3 times with no luck looks like i have to give the dealer $105!