Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

92 sl 2 Hard starting

Old 09-11-2007, 11:09 AM

My 92 is hard to start and it uses alot of fuel. I went 150 miles on a tank. I replaced the engine coolant temp sensor,disconnected the egr valve and it has no codes.

I can get in it in the morning and it will start right up. My drive to work is about 30 minutes.If I turn it off and try to start it in about 10 minutes you have to mash the throttle to get it to start after 5 or 6 times. Any Ideas?

Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 AM

Well, you need fuel and ignition so has the fuel filter been replaced? And is there fuel pressure? Have a test valve to check for fuel spray? Cleaned the ignition coils of corrosion preventing good grounding against the engine block? Scotch-brite the coil towers and smeared dielectric grease on exposed metal to prevent future corosion including the mounting bolts? How are the coil wires, arcing when sprayed with water at night to see the arc jump? Maybe time for new wires. Checked the two-wire connector to the coolant sensor for corrosion preventing the replaced sensor from working properly? Just some things to check.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:55 PM

If fuel was a problem would it still use so much?

Old 09-11-2007, 03:59 PM

[img]smileys/smiley29.gif[/img]Sorry, I must be daydreaming about something even though I read the 150 mile/tank use. The ECTS circuitmay still be at fault,if the two-wire connector is corroded the new sensor can act as bad as the old one - the poor electrical connectionmay give a false signal as if the engine were still cold and cause theECM to run the engine rich all the time. This would be indicated as a constant high idle instead of a normal 800-900 rpm idle. I mistakenly thought of a lean condition and asked about the fuel filter and fuel pressure situation. There is the possibility of a damaged fuel pressure regulator where the vacuum side is pulling in fuel into the intake manifold instead of regulating the pressure. Removing the vacuum line and noticing if there's a strong smell or evidence of raw gas dripping from the line would indicate a ruptured regulator leading to excess gas being burned. The last place to look would be the injector in the throttle body (TBI?) leaking with the ignition ONbut engine stopped. If not TBI then one injector may be leaking and either removing all the injectors for checking is required or a pressure gauge on the fuel rail will indicate if there's a pressure leak after leaving the ignition in the ON position.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:00 AM

Is it possible to plug the connector in for the coolant temp sensor the wrong way?

Old 09-14-2007, 11:11 AM

Now I get an error 15 which is a high resistance found blablabla. If the connector is corroded and not making contact im sure I would get this right?