Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

2003 LW200 brake light won't work, but tail light works fine

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 06:18 PM
Default 2003 LW200 brake light won't work, but tail light works fine

Hi - I've had a lot of trouble finding any kind of help on how the rear lights are wired and what could be causing my issue. My driver's side brake light is out, but the tail light (as well as turn signal and reverse light) all work. I only see two bulbs accessible from inside the hatch, but that can't be right - where can I find the brake light bulb, or how can I troubleshoot what is causing it to not light?

Old 10-07-2020, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2003/S...2520DR#recalls

Likely subject to the recall. I suggest you go to the site and enter your VIN to see whether the recall has been addressed on your vehicle. It is possible if you are not the original owner that the recall work had not been performed.

Searching by vin will definitively tell you whether or not your vehicle has been addressed for that recall. The manufacturers are required to submit all of the vins of the vehicles they perform the recall work on.

Please let us know on the way or the other. The problem may also be something else.

Old 10-07-2020, 06:41 PM

Thank you for the fast reply! I'm not the original owner of the car, and I hadn't thought to check for a recall. The linked page shows 0 unrepaired recalls for my VIN - that said, the recall page says it only goes back 15 years, and that specific recall turned 15 over the summer.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

You can check with any GM dealer on the phone.

If it is not that, Andy is our L car guru and likely has the shop manual if necessary to help you track down the issue.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:28 PM

Oh fantastic, you are awesome. I'll check with a dealer tomorrow or Friday about the recall and report back here if that turns out to not be it.

Old 10-08-2020, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Try cycling the hazard light switch in the center of the dash a few times. The turn and the brake use the same filament in the same bulb. Everything runs through the hazard switch.

Old 10-08-2020, 02:52 PM

That's an issue that I hadn't considered might be connected. One of the minor annoyances with this car is that the hazard switch is flaky. When I activate either turn signal, the switch makes a buzzing sound every time the indicator light comes on, and when I press the hazard switch, it often just sits there buzzing without being able to actually turn on the lights. I've replaced the switch, but the problem persists, so I think that particular can of worms is somewhere in the wiring. (The dash dimmer is also very finicky and there's one bulb in the instrument panel that doesn't light, maybe related.)

Old 10-08-2020, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

I am not home so I cannot access my factory service manuals. The dash dimmer is a separate known issue with these cars. Probably won’t be home for another week.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
I am not home so I cannot access my factory service manuals. The dash dimmer is a separate known issue with these cars. Probably won’t be home for another week.
Were you able to take a peek at those manuals? No sweat if not.

Side question, is the bolt in the rear hatch compartment on the driver's side, underneath the fabric covering the tail light assembly, a good point to ground to? I can of course check it with my meter, but I want to make sure that bolt can handle grounding a high current amplifier before investing time and energy into redesigning my electric system - the bolt I'm currently using to ground to is the scissors jack mount, which was always supposed to be a temporary solution that I forgot about because it worked.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

I got home tonight, I will look in the next couple days.

Quick Reply: 2003 LW200 brake light won't work, but tail light works fine