Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

2003 L200 dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 03:06 PM
Default 2003 L200 dash lights

Hello, I just purchased a 2003 Saturn L200 4cyl auto and am having issues with the dash lighting. The only light on the dash is the backlight for the odometer which adjusts based on the position of the wheel to the left of the steering column. I have removed the cluster and verified the bulbs through both changing them out to the daytime running light (green headlight) position as well as using a multimeter. I have verified fuses with a multimeter as well as switching with known working 10A fuses. When the car is in the accessory position the gear selector light and radio backlight come on, but when in the run position they turn off. Occasionally, I can get the gear selector light to flicker on if I play with the headlight switch in the on position. The headlights, tail lights, marker lights, license plate lights are all working as expected which leads me to believe the issue not to be with the headlight switch, but I'm going to run to the auto parts store soon and try it as I am running out of things to try.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Justin

Old 09-29-2021, 04:23 PM

Update, just took the car out for a run and noticed that in "AUTO" the solar sensor switches between daytime running lights (in which case the radio/selector lights are on) and when covering it up it turns the lights on, but the radio and shifter go off and no dash lights come on. When putting the selector to the middle position the radio/selector lights go out.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

The thumb wheel dash dimmer is next to the trunk release button on the left side of the dash under the a/c vent. The thumb wheel switch is very touchy and easily fails. It is pulse width modulated through the body control module to control instrument light brightness. I have a set of 2002 L series manuals and there are differences between the two body series, 2000-2002 and the 2003-2005 cars.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
The thumb wheel dash dimmer is next to the trunk release button on the left side of the dash under the a/c vent. The thumb wheel switch is very touchy and easily fails. It is pulse width modulated through the body control module to control instrument light brightness. I have a set of 2002 L series manuals and there are differences between the two body series, 2000-2002 and the 2003-2005 cars.
Thanks for the reply! I was out messing around a little bit more this evening and jumpered the hot from the trunk to the bulb in the switch and although burned out it lights up the dash, gear selector and once the ignition is switched on the radio lights as well! I'm going to a junkyard to try to get a new headlight switch and dash dimmer, though this sounds like it must be a no power from the BCM which I guess will just be bypassed since that's more $$ than I'm looking to put into this car. Any other ideas out there?

Old 09-30-2021, 07:29 AM

Might be as simple as corrosion on the plug at the BCM. I'd try unplugging it, giving it a shot of electrical cleaner and then plugging and unplugging it a few times to help "sweep" the contacts clean and see what happens.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Might be as simple as corrosion on the plug at the BCM. I'd try unplugging it, giving it a shot of electrical cleaner and then plugging and unplugging it a few times to help "sweep" the contacts clean and see what happens.
Thanks for the reply, that's next on the list. I just pulled a headlight/turnsignal stalk and dimmer/trunk switch and tried them with the same issues above. Will report back soon!

Old 09-30-2021, 10:59 AM

So far nothing doing, sprayed some cleaner in, reset the connectors connected the battery and still the same issue. Does anyone know where the ground for this circuit is?

Old 09-30-2021, 12:37 PM

I was sitting in the driveway scrolling the dimmer and suddenly the dash lit up with all of the lights. Looking like the BCM failed...

Old 09-30-2021, 05:08 PM

BCM didn't fail, fuse was blown. Still no dash lights, but the car is running again. I'm out of vacation time so a flashlight on the dash it is for now. Still looking for any input on what could have the LED on the dash dim and light up but not the incandescent bulbs? Thanks!

Old 10-01-2021, 07:42 AM

Maybe a bad solder connection in the circuit board? I don't know, just throwing another idea out there. Maybe pull the instrument panel and look it over very closely with a good magnifying glass. Look for any breaks in the soldered connections.

Quick Reply: 2003 L200 dash lights