Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

2002 L 200 starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Default 2002 L 200 starting issue

Hi, I have a 2002 L 200 with the 2.2 4cyl motor. I started my car yesterday and when to pull out. Put the car in reverse and went about 2 feet and the car died. this has never happen before. I then attempted to start the car and got nothing when i turned the key. I then pushed it back into parking space and tried again. this time i could hear the starter spinning but it was not turning the engine over. My first thought was my starter went out. I when and bought a new starter from local parts store. I removed the old starter and put in the new starter. I hooked everything back up and then tried to start it. I got the exact same sound with the new starter. I can hear it spinning but still not engaging. I took my old starter in and had them bench test it. It worked fine until the guy at the parts store fired the starter because he had hooked it up wrong. I have replaced the relays in the car that say they are for either the starter or ignition. Still no luck still makes the same spinning sound. I did check by battery connections for corrosion and charged the battery overnight to make sure that was not the issue. All that is good. I am at a complete loss as what to try next. Also when i pulled a 30A fuse out from under the hood of the car when i went to put it back in the car just tried to start itself like 3 times. i did not have the key in it. I am beginning to think I have an electrical problem but don’t know where or where to start. Any help or ideas would be great.
Thanks.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Banned

Hmmmmmmmm --

Sounds almost like the security circuit went nuts, but I'm still puzzled by your statement ... "Also when i pulled a 30A out from under the hood of the car when i went to put it back in the car just tried to start itself like 3times. i did not have the key in it."...

Can you tell me which 30A fuse that was? It would go a long way in helping to diagnose the problem - thanks.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:31 PM

So here what I have figured out. The fuse I pulled was from under the hood. I also discovered that this car came with an auto start feature and since I bought it used I did not get the remote that had that function. There is a warning sticker that says if the battery is remove that when reconnected the it will attempt to start the car. So that issue seems normal I guess. I was able to get help yesterday and with two people on it I was able to discover the starter is turning over the motor. It would appear that the timing belt has broke. Wont know more tell I get into more.
thanks for help. Will post another reply when I figure what exactly is wrong

Old 06-07-2012, 02:26 PM

in doing some internet seaches it seems to be that my motor and the timing chain breaking is a very common problem and i read some possible recall stuff about my motor. does anyone know how to figure out if My car is covered in any recall? I am finding a bunch of stories about similar issues, Now i am wondering and thinking if after i get this car fixed do i even keep it. It has very low miles but from reading stories that does not seem to matter that much. It is mostly my wifes car and i dont want her driving something that has known major problems with breaking down suddenly. any thoughts?
thanks.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

The only recall I could find is for 2001 (found at the hyperlink below)

Make: SATURN
Model: L SERIES Model Year: 2001 Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: NOV 07, 2007 NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 07V519000
NHTSA Action Number: EA06009 Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number of Units Affected: 20,514

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.2L 4-CYLINDER ENGINE, LINKS IN THE ENGINE'S TIMING CHAIN CAN SEPARATE.

Consequence:
IF A TIMING CHAIN LINK SEPARATES WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING, THE ENGINE WILL STALL AND WILL NOT RESTART INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE TIMING CHAIN FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 15, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SATURN AT 1-800-972-8876.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 06074. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

I severely doubt anyone at GM will be sympathetic to your plight on a 12 year old car from a shuttered brand -- but it never hurts to try.....Also, they are only owning up to 20K 2001 vehicles....course I don't know how many sold....

Also -- if your timing chain snapped, it's quite likely that you crunched your valves in the process, making your decision to fix likely more expensive to fix than the car is worth.

Go harass GM and see what happens