Wrecked my ion tonight, any ideas as to what needs replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 10:05 PM
Default Wrecked my ion tonight, any ideas as to what needs replaced?

wrecked my ion tonight, I think the radiator has a hole in it, any idea on how to get a used radiator for cheap or what else could possibly need replaced? I drove it home bc it wasnt even a few miles and the car didnt overheat but the coolant message came on on the dash and the coolant reservoir is empty since it has been setting in my driveway... I hope it's just the fender and radiator.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:25 AM

Radiator for sure. Possibly a.c. condenser.

radiators are cheap at junk yards. $25-40

Autos are specific to them because it has a trans cooler built in.

But you can use an auto rad on a manual car, since no trans cooler.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:29 AM

I'm agreeing with DD about the radiator for sure and possibly just a bumper to go along with it and fender and liner.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like you ran over a deer, person, etc,
All damage seems to be from the bottom.
If hood closes straight and evenly, frame likely ok.

In addition to the above, I would give the suspension a close looking over compared to the driver's side, as if you have bent anything, you will likely not be able to get it back into alignment.
Also, make sure the CV is not damaged.

If you did run over something substantial, follow its path on the underside of the car, as there may be additional damage that is as yet undiscovered.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by derf
Looks like you ran over a deer, person, etc,
All damage seems to be from the bottom.
If hood closes straight and evenly, frame likely ok.

In addition to the above, I would give the suspension a close looking over compared to the driver's side, as if you have bent anything, you will likely not be able to get it back into alignment.
Also, make sure the CV is not damaged.

If you did run over something substantial, follow its path on the underside of the car, as there may be additional damage that is as yet undiscovered.
Good to know about checking the underside of the car... I was going about 55 and a really big dog jumped out in front of me and I literally couldn't have done anything I feel so bad. I also stopped and when we stopped we realized my car was losing coolant like there was some dripping out of the radiator so we got to my house which was 2 miles away and I just tried to get there as fast as possible without losing all my coolant, the coolant message came on on the dash pretty much as soon as I stopped the car and checked it out and when we got to my house I had to go inside for a few minutes then when I went back out the coolant reservoir was pretty bone dry and it had lost the rest of its coolant I think that night.

I have ordered a radiator but I was really needing to know how to flush or refill the coolant when I do have another radiator installed? Or how do you pressurize the coolant system?

Old 01-09-2020, 07:27 PM

The system will pressurize itself when it gets hot. I'd replace the radiator, hoses if it needs it, fill it up, and let it warm up then cool down. Then add more coolant. It might take a bit to get any bubbles out.

While replacing the radiator, check to make sure the fan isn't broken. Easiest way to get the radiator out, is to put the car on jacks/ramps, and remove the six bolts underneath. Look for the radiator mounts, then I think it's six 14mm bolts, three on each side. Remove the hoses and lines, unplug the fan, carefully slide it down.

Other than that, I'd check that control arm on that side, and make sure the wheel isn't bent. Fender, inner fender, bumper cover, bumper, energy absorber, and you're probably ready to go.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:12 AM

Fill the rad from the upper rad hose. Then top off after letting it get hot.

everything else was covered.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:01 PM

Got it all fixed up. Ordered a radiator off Amazon Prime and got it within 2 days and Will put it on my car overnight. Then bought a Saturn ion 2005 that unknowingly had a blown motor or broke timing chain and he swapped the body panels, hood, doors, steering wheel, dash and headliner.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Looking good sir.

Do you mean you bought the car, then both of you found out the motor was trashed at the same time?

As he was cool enough to just swap all your body panels?

Old 03-02-2020, 08:33 AM

I'm confused now. Are you driving the one you wrecked on the one you just bought?

Quick Reply: Wrecked my ion tonight, any ideas as to what needs replaced?