Turn signals work then go out, then come back on...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 08:25 AM
Exclamation Turn signals work then go out, then come back on...?

My Ion's front turn signal has been going on and off for the last couple of days....both front turn signals are LED and are Error Free/CanBus...switched the bulbs and both work great but again it's only the front right that goes out... When l put my hazards on, the turn signal comes on and will work like normal, but fast forward a couple days and all of a sudden the fast clicking sound of the flasher comes on...? Any ideas? Don't know if a wire somewhere is damaged and don't want to have to go to the dealer and spend a ridiculously amount of money...

Old 05-19-2018, 01:27 PM

Sounds like a loose ground to me. I'd double check both front assembly grounds if it were mine. If that doesn't do the trick, then pull that flasher and clean the contacts on it and put it back in. Both of these things won't cost you anything but a little time.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:55 PM
Default Just Checked

Just rechecked both assemblies and found nothing...😔...also cleaned the connectors, swapped both front turn signals and still has the same problem.... When I first it all up everything works, then out of nowhere the front right just stops... What's weird is that the bulb is still on...it's just not flashing....then other times it doesn't come on at all....not really sure what else it could be other than what you said earlier...Could be a short somewhere.......But if that's the case, there's miles of wiring that I'd have to comb through...not really sure what to do...😓

Old 05-19-2018, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Cycle the hazard switch several times, all things blinkers are controlled through that switch. How does the turn signal switch feel, is it loose or floppy? The L series switch is inexpenive and seems problematic.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:44 AM

Have you looked inside the bulb sockets for any rust? They can be aggravating. Take a wooden dowel or something non-conductive and remove the bulbs and see if you can push the socket connector inside the bulb housing down. If not, then maybe the springs are rusted and not making a full connection. IDK, just an idea based on the OLD Mopars I used to fool with that would get hinky lights and turn signal problems sometimes.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your help, l think it's the turn signal stock switch... Going to my mechanic to diagnose it but think it's the switch... Thanks again everyone, have a great day 😊

Old 05-23-2018, 10:04 PM

I’m having trouble with my signal lights too... my car is good but the connectors at the bulbs are loose... even bought new headlights and they’re still loose... might try and tweak the contacts with a needle nose pliers...