Starting troubles - Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Old 05-15-2018, 04:41 PM

Default Starting troubles

i have a 05 ion 1. I recently changed timing chain (did not jump time,guide broke) and now car will not fire at all. It did sit for a year in my garage w/ a dead batter. Car would turn over but not start,even with a generous dose of starting fluid. Now it just clicks like the battery is dead but itís not. Anyone that could point me in the direction of what to do would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:13 PM

Yeah, unless you changed the battery, odds are still good that it's a crap battery. If you don't believe me, take it to your closest auto parts store and have them load test it. I'll bet it's no good. You don't say if you replaced it or not.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:37 PM

I used the battery from my truck. First 2 tried it turned over but wouldnít start. Third time it clicked as if it was dead,I put it back in my truck and it started. The battery I was using is good

Last edited by Ryan4160005; 05-16-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:20 AM

Okay, now you're sharing information. Sometimes corrosion will accumulate under the insulation on your battery cables. Take a good look at them and just try cleaning them with a wire brush in order to get a good clean connection. Check all of your grounds too, as you may have a broken or disconnected one. Are you getting a check engine light or any codes?
Old 05-16-2018, 08:57 AM

They are clean of corrosion. Grounds are good. I know 100% itís not the battery or a ground. Messed with it last night and car turned over again but did not start. Turned key in off position,tried again and nothing. Anti theft flashed but then went off. However service engine shows in digital odometer screen. No other lights on in cluster.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Try a 30 min passlock reset procedure. Directions for it are everywhere.

Willing to bet the BCM lost the "password" it is expecting from the passlock sensor in the ignition. If they do not match, the BCM will never tell the ECU to ENABLE the fuel injectors (default state when passlock is active is INHIBIT Fuel Injectors.
Hook up a charger to the ION or leave the truck battery jumped from your car running. You WILL drain a resting battery, rendering the procedure useless, plus you will have a dead truck battery and will have to jump THAT from something else.

If you are getting inconsistent behavior upon cranking, your starter may be suspect.

Have you done a compression test to ensure the timing was set correctly? This would be a straightforward reason for it not firing if it is not building sufficient compression.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:19 AM

Check all the grounds and the connections at the starter... I had an issue back when my Redline ran, that it wouldn’t start. It ended up that one of the grounds had internally corroded and wouldn’t pass enough current to start the car...