Trouble turning off 06 Ion 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 02:28 PM
Default Trouble turning off 06 Ion 3

I am looking to figure out how I can fix my issue with 06 Saturn Ion 3 2.4L. When I park the car and go to turn it off sometimes the car won't let me turn the key more than one click to accessory and remove it. I have to turn it back to ignition phase and shift out of park and back again. Sometimes take 2 to 10 tries before it will register that it's in park and let me turn the car completely off. I have spoke with 3 GM dealerships and nobody can give me a straight answer. I refuse to just take it in and then end up with a $1,000 bill for something that I could fix for $5. Anybody else encounter this?

Old 07-31-2021, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Sensor/switch which tells the ECM what gear the transmission is in is out of alignment or worn out.
The transmission is in park, but the device sensing what gear the vehicle is in is sending the wrong information to the ECM
Probably that you are in reverse and therefore won't let you turn the key all the way off by design.

Dropdead will know what it's called and how to replace it. My guess is 20 bucks.

The only GM dealership of any use regarding Saturns is a GM dealership currently employing a former Saturn Tech. Many will refuse to work on the vehicles or, in cases like this, make zero effort to help you so they don't have to officially log the vehicle in for service and be responsible for actually trying to fix it. Something like this, they know exactly what it is. Every car has one. The issue is sourcing new parts. They don't even want to take the time to see if the parts are available before saying no.

It's likely the part you put in will be from a junkyard. A functional part is a functional part. I suspect most every Saturn on the road has at least one part obtained from a yard. If it works it works.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:56 AM

Most dealerships are getting to a point where they don't want to work on older cars anymore. With each passing year, you're more and more likely to hear the word "NO" if you take a Saturn to ANY GM dealership. It looks like they're heading in the same direction as motorcycle dealers. If it's over 10 years old, they won't touch them. You have to find an independent shop.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Sensor/switch which tells the ECM what gear the transmission is in is out of alignment or worn out.
The transmission is in park, but the device sensing what gear the vehicle is in is sending the wrong information to the ECM
Probably that you are in reverse and therefore won't let you turn the key all the way off by design.

Dropdead will know what it's called and how to replace it. My guess is 20 bucks.

The only GM dealership of any use regarding Saturns is a GM dealership currently employing a former Saturn Tech. Many will refuse to work on the vehicles or, in cases like this, make zero effort to help you so they don't have to officially log the vehicle in for service and be responsible for actually trying to fix it. Something like this, they know exactly what it is. Every car has one. The issue is sourcing new parts. They don't even want to take the time to see if the parts are available before saying no.

It's likely the part you put in will be from a junkyard. A functional part is a functional part. I suspect most every Saturn on the road has at least one part obtained from a yard. If it works it works.
WHO is dropdead?

Old 08-06-2021, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

DropDead is the 2nd coming of Goaliemo, an estranged former mod of this fine establishment who used to eat sleep and breathe Saturn Ions. I like to think of him as "Dropdead, Goaliemo once self-removed."

Pm DropDead through the forum.w the web address of this thread..

Old 08-06-2021, 08:35 AM

Have you tried to lubricate the ignition cylinder with some graphite? Maybe that's all it needs. It's cheap enough to try and you can use it on your door locks, trunk lock and even the locks on your house or apartment. Or mobile home! LOL

Old 08-06-2021, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

I would be careful using graphite powder on the hinges on doors inside your house. It will eventually work its way out of the bottom of the hinge, so the lowest hinge on each door will deposit a dark powder onto the carpet if there is carpet.

Also, if you later use something like a liquid silicone based spray or dry Teflon dispersed by spray, it will wash the graphite out of the hinge and if you don't have a paper towel and a lot of patience you will end up with liquid stains on your carpet of the color black.

Ask me how I know.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:41 AM

Now derf, you know perfectly well I never said anything about using graphite powder on ANY type of hinges. All I said was the ignition lock cylinder and other types of locks. THAT is the only recommended lubricant for locks that I am aware of. I never use any type of liquid to try to free up a lock.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Apologies, dude.

I think I leaped forward in the next conceivable application past what you discussed. Very strange. I guess it just made me think of how many stains on my white carpet there were back when I lived in Jersey because I didn't know any better. I think it was a save the world reaction.

Very very strange

Old 08-09-2021, 07:43 AM

I get it and no apologies needed. White carpet? Man, if any of the places I ever lived had white carpet, they'd have been black and brown after I'd lived there and worked on various engines or parts during the winters! LOL

Quick Reply: Trouble turning off 06 Ion 3