Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Default Suspension Questions

Hi, I just got a 2005 ion with 114,000 miles on it.

I had a problem with the alignment that seems to be better now that I put in a shim kit.

I'm wondering if the suspension parts on the front end are causing the clunking noises over small bumps? Do they usually go that quickly or might it be the struts at this mileage?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 PM

Do a search or two about the ION suspension noise over bumps. ION's do not need shim kits unless they have been damaged.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:31 AM

Was this shim kit put in on suggestion from an alignment shop? Do you or were you able to determine that 1. It needed one and 2. it was actually installed.
I ask for this reason. I had one of my cars in for an alignment and the manager spent a fair amount of time explaining to me the need to install a shim kit and got really pissy when I pointed out he needed a 1 inch wrench instead and if course the knowledge as to how to use it.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:04 AM

Actually this used to be my girlfriends car. A few months ago, she was told by the Firestone dealership where she got her tires checked, that her rear tires were wearing badly and that she needed a shim kit. They quoted her a price of over $500. I couldn't believe that something so inexpensive would be quoted so high, even with installation. I took the car to a friend of mine who only does alignments. He installed the shims and aligned the car for under $60. Since then, the tires are wearing perfectly. (Last time my girlfriend ever goes to Firestone!!!)

Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 AM

It has been my observation that franchised tire out lets primary purpose is to make as much money as they can with out being responsible for how it is made.
The staff rotates frequently, no offense meant to anyone but when English as a Second language is a hiring requirement being able to read and follow instructions is rarely a job requirement.
I have seen and hear some incredibly bogus stories even at the place I regularly frequent.
Their staff constantly changes as to the mechanics or what ever they are called, the incompetence can be expected.
I find I need to know what is going on and why in order to insure what I came their for gets done and correctly. And frankly my experiance with automotive dealers is a bit on the thin side too.
When money was flush so were the added expenses that were suggested.
I have been dealing with a top cabin Local Chrysler dealer now for over 7 years and the only single visit trip I can brag about confidently was the last one.
What I wanted done was done, done correctly and with out bogus suggestions as to other services that might be needed in order to safely drive out of the place.
Money must be tight enough for them that they are actually doing work requested with a smile.
When the local Saturn dealer closed in my opinion it was no great loss. The last time I visited them they insisted that a $300 estimate turn into about $3500 in service repairs in order to be safe to leave the premises.
Needles to say the scene which took place after that was not what I would call family entertainment.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:57 PM

That has also been my experience!! I prefer to do as much of my own work, on my car, as possible.