2005 ION2 rear defrost not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Default 2005 ION2 rear defrost not working

I'm trying to figure out why the rear defrost does not heat. I've checked the fuse and it is fine. I do not get any current at the two window leads when the defrost is switched on. The panel indicator light comes on but no juice.

My first thought was that the switch may be bad but I find it odd that the indicator light comes on.

Next thought is a physical break in one of the wires. Is there a published wiring diagram for this? I'd rather not just start taking panels off trying to trace the wires.

Or does someone have another idea where the break could be.

Thanks.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 PM

Wiring diagram or not you'll still have to trace down the problem. Go to the store and buy a service manual for your car. That would be at an auto parts store.

Latitude:-32.7766 (32° 46′ 35.76″ N)
Longitude:-79.9309 (79° 55′ 51.24″ W)
who could that be?

Last edited by sw2cam; 02-10-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM

,and you know for a fact that the relay and fuse are in working order?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 PM

RjION - Ah...didn't catch that there was a relay. I'll check it out too.

I'll post back if that isn't the fix.

Thank you.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 AM

How about posting back even if that IS the fix. That way, maybe the next person will be able to remedy the problem quickly.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Banned

It would be interesting to find out just how it was determined that there was no electrical power at the two window leads .....

Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by TRoop
RjION - Ah...didn't catch that there was a relay. I'll check it out too.

I'll post back if that isn't the fix.

Thank you.
You are the rooptech

Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
It would be interesting to find out just how it was determined that there was no electrical power at the two window leads .....
I used a DC volt meter. No current and no continuity with dashboard switch on. I checked with the two leads connected to the grid and with both of them off.

I have a new relay but I don't feel like braving the rain to switch it out. I'll post the results after the weather dries out.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Banned

The reason I asked the question, is that I too had a problem with my rear window defroster (wife's car). Granted, my wife's car is an '09 Aura, but I suspect the system works pretty much the same.

Turned the ignition switch to the "RUN" position without starting the car. Turned off radio and other noise-making devices. Pressed the switch, and was able to hear the relay "click". Measured across the tabs on the window --> nothing.

Examined the window carefully where the wires attach to the tabs (looking for a break in the window grid) --> looked good to me. Measured for voltage again, only this time from the window tab on the driver's side to the frame of the car -- VOILA! 12 volts!

Remeasured across the tabs, and got a reading of zero --- what the heck? Repeated the measurement from the tab to chassis ground -- 12 volts. After a bit of head scratching, decided to measure from the tab on the passenger's side to the chassis -- and got a reading of 12 volts also !?!

Disconnected the wires from the tabs, and measured from each wire to the chassis. On her car, the driver's side wire was 12 volts, and the other side was zero. It finally became clear -- there was a break/disconnect in the wiring from the defroster back to chassis ground. Rather than try to locate the break, I just obtained a sire of similar size, and ran it from the tab to the chassis --> problem solved!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM

I don't think I've ever turned on my rear defogger.

Quick Reply: 2005 ION2 rear defrost not working