sunnyboy010101 sunnyboy010101 New Discussion Expand for more options. Categorie

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 04:29 PM
Default sunnyboy010101 sunnyboy010101 New Discussion Expand for more options. Categorie

Rainy season has started again, and the floor behind the front passenger seat is again soaked. I removed the rear seat and pulled up the carpet - the driver's side rear floor is dry, but the passenger side is just flooded - a pool of standing water under the carpet and the carpet (and underlay) is just dripping.

I already fixed the sunroof leak, but that's front passenger floor. This is behind the passenger seat. I checked, and all other interior areas are dry - no leak in the ventilation flapper valve, sunroof still OK, all carpet except the soaked one is dry. I also checked and no leaks from front or back windows, nor any leaks from doors or door seals. That's all dry.

I cannot figure out where the water is coming, so any assistance would be appreciated.

After pulling the carpet up behind the front seats I did notice there are two rubber hoses - one coming down each side of the transmission tunnel (under the carpets) which then lead to fittings just in front of the rear seat. They are a hard rubber and are NOT wire harnesses. The fitting is a rectangular nylon where the hose exits at an angle. I cannot find what these hoses are anywhere. I'm ready to toss the useless Haynes book on a bonfire.

Can anyone tell me what these hoses are for? They come from somewhere in the front of the cabin but I can't tell without pulling the seats and all the carpet.

Last edited by Sunnyboy; 11-30-2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: trying to edit title but cannot
Old 12-01-2017, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

A) What year is this?

B) GUESSING rear sunroof drain likely disconnected and water is running down through the pillar, not through the drain hose then coming in under the interior trim at the base of the pillar and ending up on the floor

Old 12-06-2017, 01:30 PM

2004 Ion 4-door. I'm pretty sure there are only front drains on the sunroof and I fixed those 5 years ago.

I thought about rear drains, and even water coming in the trunk; but there's no water or dampness anywhere around the doors, seat, rear pillar or anywhere except the floor just in front of the rear seat, where there's a puddle under the carpet.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

I looked in the factory service manuals on our site and there is a reference to rear sunroof drains on Ions. My L series car has two front and two rear sunroof drains. Both right side carpets front and rear were wet on my car and my leak was the right front hose.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
I looked in the factory service manuals on our site and there is a reference to rear sunroof drains on Ions. My L series car has two front and two rear sunroof drains. Both right side carpets front and rear were wet on my car and my leak was the right front hose.
Are the service manuals on this site? If so, where? I really need to know what the two plastic pipes coming down beside the center tunnel to the right and left rear are for. The hoses exit through a square nylon fitting on each side just in front of the rear seat.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

They are a little painful to use because they keep asking for money but they do have some information. Go to forums, then general help. The third sticky down will take you manuals.
The items you describe provide heat to the rear seat area when on floor mode.