Starting problems with my 2005 Saturn ion

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 09:10 PM
Default Edited my post

I just fixed the red fuse off the battery 10 amp, can I ask what does it power.
please help !!! I have a 2005 Saturn ion 2.2 ecotech. The other day I started my car and it did sound like it struggled to start, went to the mailbox and shut the car off and got back in and it wouldn't start. My husband is very knowledgeable about cars managed to get it started and get it home. My battery is fine, windows radio and lights work fine. My husband checked to see if any wires and ends corroaded and replaced them. He tested everything he could think of and for some reason there is no power to the starter. A friend believes it could be the bcm.
They did the relearn thing still no success. Could you please help ? Also he is trying to see where the wiring to the battery leads to the front of the car. We also have a bit of water in the trunk area where it's been leaking.

Last edited by Deana; 09-04-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: My 2005 ion will not start
Old 09-04-2018, 08:42 AM

You need to tell us what's up with your car first. There are a lot of fuses both under the hood and inside the car. Impossible to tell which one you're referring to. Please introduce yourself and tell us about your Saturn and what's going on with it. That way, we may be able to help you figure it our. Thanks and welcome to the forum.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:16 PM
Default I edited my first post if you could please have a look. Thank you

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
You need to tell us what's up with your car first. There are a lot of fuses both under the hood and inside the car. Impossible to tell which one you're referring to. Please introduce yourself and tell us about your Saturn and what's going on with it. That way, we may be able to help you figure it our. Thanks and welcome to the forum.
Hi thank you for replying and I edited my first post if you could have look I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:14 PM

I'm not at all familiar with the Ion's. I THINK bonestock is the man for those. But I have to ask how your hubby determined the battery is okay? Just doing a volt meter check won't cut it. It needs to be load tested. I'd take the battery out and take it to the closest chain auto parts store and ask them to load test it. If it checks out okay, then it's time to double check the cables for cleanliness and good connections. Check the ground cable for corrosion and a good, clean connection too. Check any and all ground connections you can find on the car. Has your hubby tried just tapping the starter with a hammer and make sure it's not stuck? I don't know if the BCM controls the starter, but I don't THINK so. I'm hoping bones, derf or Andy will see this and offer some help. I'm more familiar with the S Series cars having owned two, but don't have a Saturn at all anymore. I drive a Kia.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

1) How did he get it started, literally? Was it click/nothing dead when you tried to restart it?
2) You seem to indicate he replaced some corroded wires. were these the battery cables? If not, what were they?
3) Could you please take and post a picture of the fuse box where the red fuse wias with your finger pointing to it? Does the fuse keep blowing?
4) The security system for an Ion (Passlock II) involves the Ignition switch, BCM and PCM all working together to start and keep the car running.
What is the status of the security light when trying to start?

Old 09-05-2018, 12:29 AM

Check all the ground cables under the hood and all the battery cables in the trunk and replace any that show signs of corrosion... I had an issue with my IRL where everything would or keep except the starter... I would turn the key and... nothing... I would jiggle the ground strap and would get a click or sometimes the engine would turn over briefly but not enough to start, and could eventually get a start by wiggling the ground... it ended up being badly corroded inside and wouldn’t pass enough current to power the starter

Old 09-05-2018, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Are Ion batteries in the trunk? I hate long cable runs and using body parts as grounds.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yes indeed they are

Old 09-05-2018, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

I suspect your car has the same problem Bones Redline had. By far your highest electrical load is the starter. Use jumper cables to help diagnose bad battery cables. Start with the ground circuit, leaving your car intact connect just one of the cables from your negative battery post to where the ground strap bolts to the body. Let us know what happens.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:59 PM
Default Saturn 2005 starting problems

Originally Posted by derf
1) How did he get it started, literally? Was it click/nothing dead when you tried to restart it?
2) You seem to indicate he replaced some corroded wires. were these the battery cables? If not, what were they?
3) Could you please take and post a picture of the fuse box where the red fuse wias with your finger pointing to it? Does the fuse keep blowing?
4) The security system for an Ion (Passlock II) involves the Ignition switch, BCM and PCM all working together to start and keep the car running.
What is the status of the security light when trying to start?
it was dead and he wiggled the computer connections under the hood by the fuse box.
he changed from the battery to the starter fuse box, then the ground wire from the body to the motor and 3 or 4 ground wires that went there as well. The battery cables were good and he changed the connector on the small wire coming off the battery it is orange wire. We still didn't have any power to a bank of fuses under the hood in the fuse box. Tonight he changed the fuse box and now we have power on those fuses and still no start. !!! We need a wire diagram to see what triggers run/ start relay. Maybe a bad bcm ? The answer to the security light is off. Please help!!!

Quick Reply: Starting problems with my 2005 Saturn ion