Need help! WONT CRANK....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Unhappy

Thanks! I will look into that...so far, no bueno...If I cant resovle this...its rosary beads time for this car.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:42 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
Start with the basics, check for proper voltage at all the fuses. Some fuses are battery hot and some are hot with the key in the on position. The fact that the shift interlock does not work properly points to your ignition switch.
Cant be too sure about the interlock thing. I've never ever attempted to start this car in neutral, (never had to). The start up circuit in these Ions is crazy, (it's non-mechanical and all electronic). Already changed the ignition switch and did the re-learn thing, (I can do that in my sleep). Still no crank. That's why I'm looking into other possible issues. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2019, 11:49 AM

Check the fuse for the switch (may affect shifter interlock) and check the run/crank relay under the hood... either of those failing could cause your problem

Old 05-17-2019, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88
Check the fuse for the switch (may affect shifter interlock) and check the run/crank relay under the hood... either of those failing could cause your problem
Is the switch fuse in the exterior too?

Last edited by IMAKING; 05-17-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:54 AM

I think the fuse for the ignition switch is inside the car, but can’t remember 100%

Old 05-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88
I think the fuse for the ignition switch is inside the car, but can’t remember 100%
I wanted to make sure you weren't just guessing before I thank you 100%. You're absolutely correct, it is in the interior fuse-box.

And for all those who run into this problem as I described, this is what solves it. Stop guessing that it's the ignition switch. That would be an exercise in futility. It was a simple 2 amp fuse. My Saturn is back and running. By the way, the transmission will lock in park if you blow this fuse. Once replaced, the shifter will move to any gear if the ignition switch is in the run position. Also, if you try to run a scan tool, (like my Actron), you will not have a data link if this fuse is blown.

Last edited by IMAKING; 05-18-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

There is a similar 5 amp fuse for the ignition switch in the new aluminum body Super Duty Fords. It blows when you try to jump start it and get the cables backwards. It also blows a non replaceable 150 amp alternator fuse. Not Me but I got to solve that riddle at work.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:42 PM
Unhappy

Well I was too ambitious. Took it out for a ride and she just kept blowing the same fuse while I was driving. Died 5 times and each time I kept replacing the fuse until I made it home.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

When you swapped out the ignition switch, did you find a bunch of grease type stuff on the harness connector?

That was perennially a problem with the Ion ignitions, among other things.
Usually, it would lead to a bad connection and no crank. I suppose, depending on which pin contacts it is interfering with, it could also cause an intermittent short. Don't know how conductive it is.

Did you swap in a new one or a used Saturn ign switch?
I would re-dis-assemble the ignition to look for the grease inside where the connectors touch the pins (however that is set up) and see if that isn't an issue. Such a situation would benefit from an ign switch swap but if there is junk impeding and/or crossing wires, the problem would soon return. If that is the issue, somebody must sell that pigtail......

Old 05-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

2 amps at 12 volts is not very much load. I would sure like to see a fsm wiring diagram for that circuit. It might just be powering a relay and the relay needs to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Need help! WONT CRANK....