ION 2005 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Banned
Default ION 2005 will not start

Hi I am a newbie and I am having an issue with my ION. The problem started when the starter went bad. I replaced the starter and drove the car 3 days with no problem. I went to get in it and it would not start. The starter would not even turn over. I took the starter back out and had it test which it pass the test. I checked all fuses and test any relay that was in the start circuit. I pulled F11 out and place my meter to see if I had +12VDC across the fuse which I did. I then pulled out relay 31 and place the meter across the coil of the relay and turn the key on and I did not have any voltage. I then went to the ground side of the relay and to a +12VDC source to check if I had ground. Even with the key off it showed voltage, but if I put the relay in the socket and check for ground on the relay I did not have it even when I turned the key on. I changed the ignition switch and did the pass code reset. The lock icon light on the dash would flash for 10 min as said in the instruction. I follow the instruction to the T to the end. When I turn on the key the standard lights on the dash comes on then go off even the lock icon. the only light that stays on is the check engine light. I am suspecting the PNP switch is bad but I am a bit lost after looking for the ground on the relay. I read were the pass code code could be an issue. I don't want to purchase a new PNP switch to find out it was the pass code issue. Any suggestion on this problem would be helpful. I also took the battery out and had Auto Zone test the battery. They said the battery was good and it had the right CCA. I attach a drawing on some test i was able to do.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails ION 2005 will not start-test-ignation-circuit.jpg  
Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 PM

Have you check your frigging battery cables and made sure they're clean on BOTH ends and tight? Check them for corrosion too.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Banned

Yes when I replaced the starter I clean up all connection going to the starter. ( I did not feel like climbing back under the car in this frigging weather). The connection on the battery is clean as well. In fact when I pulled the battery out to take it to the Auto store you would swear I had a brand new battery in my hand. Also I made sure all connection were tight. I do have another question I been thinking about buying a code scanner. There is so many on the market I want to make sure I purchase the right one. the one that is around $200.00 is out of the question. I need the money to fix my car. any suggestion on a more affordable unit. Thanks.

Last edited by dorato; 01-05-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:35 AM

I wish I could further help you, but electrical has never been a strong point for me. About the only thing I can think of to try now is to swap another relay into # 31. Make sure it's got the same number on it as the one you pulled out to test. It could be stuck contacts inside the relay. I THINK.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Banned

Been there and done that LOL. That why I made and extension for the relay to make it stand up high in the socket so I could put my meter on it to see if I was getting voltage to the coil and to see if I had a good connection going to the starter on one side of the contacts and voltage on the other side. I am thinking it is the PNP switch. I am trying to figure out how to go on it with my meter to see if the switch is good or not. I do notice when I move from park to neutral the door lock engage. I think I need to do research on the door lock to see how it is getting the signal from the PNP.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 AM

Hey Dorato,
Welcome! I'm pretty new here,too-it's a great site, with lots of good folks. I have an '04 Ion, and I like your idea of getting a code scanner-sounds like you're at that point.
I bought an Innova 3120 scanner on Amazon for about $130, but you can get one for a lot less. The 3120 is a dual scanner(both OBD1 and OBD2), and I bought it because I have a 1995 Taurus that uses the OBD1. But if you only have cars '96 and newer, just get an OBD2 scanner. A lot of the pricey ones have software that tell you what the code means, but all you really need is the fault code number-then go online to find out what it means. You can get a scanner for as little as $30.00- not sure how those work, but a lot of places that sell them have customer reviews you can read. Mine is great for me.
Good luck-let us know what you find.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned

Hi NG51,
Thanks for the information. I did do research on the scanner and it seems like a good brand is the Innova models.
Thanks again
Dorato

Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Banned

Okay been talking to different People here and Some one mention it could be the ignition ground wire on the car. So does anyone know where this wire is located. I try Google it to see if I could find it but no luck. I look at all main power lines in the car for corrosion but they told me it could be a 10 to 12 GA wire. Thanks for all the past help every one on here been giving me..

Old 01-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Banned

Okay getting frustrating with my car. I went out an bought a code scanner and put it on the car. it came up with no codes even though the check engine light was on. I then found some service bulletin on corrosive on the connectors and ground wire going to the chassis. I clean all connections up. I turn the key and still nothing happen. took my other car with a brand new battery and try jumping it and still nothing. I then hooked up the car scanner and reader and now got two codes which are P2101 and P0443. The P0443 mention the RUN/CRANK fuse. I check the fuse and it is good. Also I notice on the panel the reduce engine power lights comes on and stays on. Can the code P0443 could cause the starter not to start the car?

Old 01-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Banned

I went out and even bought a new battery in hopes this would help my problem. Still will not start the starter will not even turn.

Quick Reply: ION 2005 will not start