Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Ion (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/)
-   -   ION 2005 will not start (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/ion-2005-will-not-start-9165/)

dorato 01-04-2014 04:40 PM

ION 2005 will not start

1 Attachment(s)
Hi I am a newbie and I am having an issue with my ION. The problem started when the starter went bad. I replaced the starter and drove the car 3 days with no problem. I went to get in it and it would not start. The starter would not even turn over. I took the starter back out and had it test which it pass the test. I checked all fuses and test any relay that was in the start circuit. I pulled F11 out and place my meter to see if I had +12VDC across the fuse which I did. I then pulled out relay 31 and place the meter across the coil of the relay and turn the key on and I did not have any voltage. I then went to the ground side of the relay and to a +12VDC source to check if I had ground. Even with the key off it showed voltage, but if I put the relay in the socket and check for ground on the relay I did not have it even when I turned the key on. I changed the ignition switch and did the pass code reset. The lock icon light on the dash would flash for 10 min as said in the instruction. I follow the instruction to the T to the end. When I turn on the key the standard lights on the dash comes on then go off even the lock icon. the only light that stays on is the check engine light. I am suspecting the PNP switch is bad but I am a bit lost after looking for the ground on the relay. I read were the pass code code could be an issue. I don't want to purchase a new PNP switch to find out it was the pass code issue. Any suggestion on this problem would be helpful. I also took the battery out and had Auto Zone test the battery. They said the battery was good and it had the right CCA. I attach a drawing on some test i was able to do.
Thanks

Rubehayseed 01-04-2014 10:43 PM

Have you check your frigging battery cables and made sure they're clean on BOTH ends and tight? Check them for corrosion too.

dorato 01-05-2014 07:25 AM

Yes when I replaced the starter I clean up all connection going to the starter. ( I did not feel like climbing back under the car in this frigging weather). The connection on the battery is clean as well. In fact when I pulled the battery out to take it to the Auto store you would swear I had a brand new battery in my hand. Also I made sure all connection were tight. I do have another question I been thinking about buying a code scanner. There is so many on the market I want to make sure I purchase the right one. the one that is around $200.00 is out of the question. I need the money to fix my car. any suggestion on a more affordable unit. Thanks.

Rubehayseed 01-05-2014 08:35 AM

I wish I could further help you, but electrical has never been a strong point for me. About the only thing I can think of to try now is to swap another relay into # 31. Make sure it's got the same number on it as the one you pulled out to test. It could be stuck contacts inside the relay. I THINK.

dorato 01-05-2014 10:21 AM

Been there and done that LOL. That why I made and extension for the relay to make it stand up high in the socket so I could put my meter on it to see if I was getting voltage to the coil and to see if I had a good connection going to the starter on one side of the contacts and voltage on the other side. I am thinking it is the PNP switch. I am trying to figure out how to go on it with my meter to see if the switch is good or not. I do notice when I move from park to neutral the door lock engage. I think I need to do research on the door lock to see how it is getting the signal from the PNP.

NG51 01-05-2014 11:30 AM

Hey Dorato,
Welcome! I'm pretty new here,too-it's a great site, with lots of good folks. I have an '04 Ion, and I like your idea of getting a code scanner-sounds like you're at that point.
I bought an Innova 3120 scanner on Amazon for about $130, but you can get one for a lot less. The 3120 is a dual scanner(both OBD1 and OBD2), and I bought it because I have a 1995 Taurus that uses the OBD1. But if you only have cars '96 and newer, just get an OBD2 scanner. A lot of the pricey ones have software that tell you what the code means, but all you really need is the fault code number-then go online to find out what it means. You can get a scanner for as little as $30.00- not sure how those work, but a lot of places that sell them have customer reviews you can read. Mine is great for me.
Good luck-let us know what you find.

dorato 01-05-2014 12:18 PM

Hi NG51,
Thanks for the information. I did do research on the scanner and it seems like a good brand is the Innova models.
Thanks again
Dorato

dorato 01-06-2014 01:27 PM

Okay been talking to different People here and Some one mention it could be the ignition ground wire on the car. So does anyone know where this wire is located. I try Google it to see if I could find it but no luck. I look at all main power lines in the car for corrosion but they told me it could be a 10 to 12 GA wire. Thanks for all the past help every one on here been giving me..

dorato 01-11-2014 10:12 AM

Okay getting frustrating with my car. I went out an bought a code scanner and put it on the car. it came up with no codes even though the check engine light was on. I then found some service bulletin on corrosive on the connectors and ground wire going to the chassis. I clean all connections up. I turn the key and still nothing happen. took my other car with a brand new battery and try jumping it and still nothing. I then hooked up the car scanner and reader and now got two codes which are P2101 and P0443. The P0443 mention the RUN/CRANK fuse. I check the fuse and it is good. Also I notice on the panel the reduce engine power lights comes on and stays on. Can the code P0443 could cause the starter not to start the car?

dorato 01-11-2014 12:42 PM

:mad:I went out and even bought a new battery in hopes this would help my problem. Still will not start the starter will not even turn.:confused: