im going to cry

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:22 PM

I don't have a manual for your car and have never even looked under the hood of an ION, so I'm not sure. They're usually stuffed up under a fender or near a fender towards the front of the car. Surely someone else here that works on them can either point you to it or post a picture?

Old 01-10-2014, 07:24 AM

ok....hopefully cuz its driving me crazy

Old 01-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

P0446 EVAP Vent Solenoid Valve Control System

Has to do with capturing gas vapors when you fill your tank from directly entering the atmosphere. There are several solenoids (switches) that the control when and where the vapors go.

The problem could be a defective solenoid (there are several in the system) or I have read that people have had a bad fuel pressure sensor throw this code.

Others get this code, then clear it, then it doesn't come back for months.

If you are not having problems filling your tank (pump shutting off), just get the code cleared and see if it comes back.

Even if it comes back, if there are no driveability or gas pumping issues I'd let this one slide for a while.

As for location of solenoids -- no clue on an Ion. Maybe Rj knows. Prob near the gas tank.

So just get the code erased at autozone and see if it comes back

Old 01-10-2014, 12:46 PM

My car has no issue which is what is annoying the fuc* out of me. My gas mileage hasnt changed, my car drives normally, my car fills up with gas no problem. Guess I'll just try clearing the code. I dont have $$ to be replacing stuff for no reason lol

The car places around here wont clear codes because there was a big thing of people getting the codes cleared and selling the cars. I'll see if a friend has a code reader who will do it for me.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:53 PM

Here are a couple of pictures of the evap canister and solenoid-the canister is at the rear of the car behind the fuel tank. I've highlighted it on one picture. The solenoid is located at the driver's side of the engine-I've highlighted it in the other picture.Attachment 660

Attachment 661

Hope this helps- I do have a whole diagnostic procedure available if you need it.
Good luck!

Last edited by NG51; 02-03-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Thank you darlin, it's much appreciated!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:02 PM

I'm kind of with derf and Charlie on this one- I'd kind of slide on it if you can. According to my Alldata, the code will go away if the car starts three consecutive times with no issue. That's the cheap way to do it! I'm kind of suspicious of that cap too, since that could affect the pressure of the tank vapors...

Old 01-10-2014, 02:56 PM

What do you mean 3 consecutive times? Like turn it on let it run a second turn it off and then back on? Or like 3 trips?

I was having an issue with my cap a few months ago...i for some reason couldn't get it to lock on right and I'd be driving and I would get a message on my dash saying check gas cap...but I haven't had that happen in quite some time. IDK...maybe my cap is the problem....I'll call the dealer and see how much one costs.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM

No Mandee, he means 3 or more drive cycles. You get in your car and go somewhere and do what you have to do. Just drive it normally, like you've been doing and see if the code goes away.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 PM

Ive driven way more than that so thats no bueno

Quick Reply: im going to cry