2006 ion recalls?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 04:03 PM
Default 2006 ion recalls?

If you purchase a used 2006 Saturn Ion how are you supposed to know if any of the recall parts were replaced? A senior member here made the ignition recall sound dangerous. So now I'm a little concerned.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

That's because it is dangerous.
People died.

Visit and search by VIN

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Old 12-04-2020, 10:17 AM

That's messed up. I remember working at a plastic injection molding factory making parts for Toyota Nissan Subaru and when those messed up something with they were accelerating on their own and causing accidents. They did some kind of major recall or shut down, and I got permanently laid off. Thank you for the link. If I remember correctly you were the one pointing out that they were risking lives and that it was ridiculous because it was free to get the fix. I'm not sure how that works with them being out of business or where you would even go to get it. Is it falling back on GM in general or something. I guess I'll find out when I can you get time to get on that site but for now I have to get my car back to running. LOL. Can't worry about priority D when you're stuck on priority B.

Old 12-04-2020, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Chevy dealership is your best bet. This issue was not isolated to only ions if I remember correctly. It was scattered throughout the GM lines

Old 12-05-2020, 10:30 AM

Thanks for that link to NHTSA recalls, Derf. I've had my 2004 Ion for about 9 months now, and had not checked its recall status. Found out there are no outstanding recalls on my Ion. Then I checked the VIN for my 2003 Dakota, and found one recall outstanding. Called the local Ram/Jeep dealer, and they are ordering the part and will do the recall for no cost. For a 17-year-old vehicle! So you made my day!

Old 12-05-2020, 12:59 PM

All they do is give you a new key for the recall. Kinda shady.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

You're welcome.

Way to rain on his parade man.
Besides the entire Auto industry is shady so I'm not sure exactly what your point is

Old 12-05-2020, 10:30 PM

Okay I'm confused at this point. If the ignition goes bad oh, how is it causing accidents and killing people? And how is a new key supposed to fix it? It doesn't seem to make sense. Does the key magically turn off when you're going down the road. No I wouldn't mind having two keys for the car. It's always nice to have two keys especially if you don't have to pay for one.

Old 12-06-2020, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by derf
You're welcome.

Way to rain on his parade man.
Besides the entire Auto industry is shady so I'm not sure exactly what your point is
not trying to rain on his parade. GM deemed the Oval hole with the weight of other keys being the cause of the ignition faulting. New ignitions and keys were only issued in the beginning. All theyre doing now is give you a key with a small hole for a key ring

Originally Posted by DROYGAN
Okay I'm confused at this point. If the ignition goes bad oh, how is it causing accidents and killing people? And how is a new key supposed to fix it? It doesn't seem to make sense. Does the key magically turn off when you're going down the road. No I wouldn't mind having two keys for the car. It's always nice to have two keys especially if you don't have to pay for one.
Its because of how the key is shaped adding weight to it causing it to break

Old 12-06-2020, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Ign would skip from run position to acc position with no warning. So you'd be driving down the highway at 70 mph and the car would suddenly shut off. No power steering no power brakes, no idea what happened. Making a left turn and an intersection, key slips into accessory, engine shuts off, car stops moving.

Excessive weight on key rings exist everywhere. Switch was known to be prone to this and they still used it. Now they only swap out the key? They must have calculated the the most vulnerable units have already killed all the people who sat behind the wheel of them so anyone's that are coming in for recall now are not bad enough to warrant replacement according to the accountants. No I did not have a car with this ignition and no I am not bitter.

As 4 parade raining, I was referring to the recall fix on the Dakota. I thought the key only reference was to the fix for that so ignore my comment please I thought you were spoiling a surprise part replacement for the truck not the Saturn