2006 saturn ion shifts hard intermitently

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 03:31 PM
Default 2006 saturn ion shifts hard intermitently

2Do u think this has anything to do with the recall to replace ignition and solenoid, which i havent taken care of yet. Also my coolant light is on but my coolant is fine. My transaxle fluid is fine but it is dirty.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AimeeN
2Do u think this has anything to do with the recall to replace ignition and solenoid, which i havent taken care of yet.
Umm, no.

... coolant light is on but my coolant is fine.
If you say so.

My transaxle fluid is fine but it is dirty.
Dirty and fine are not used in the same sentence when describing transmission fluid. It's either one or the other. Out of an abundance of caution oh, I'm going to go with dirty. You may wish to consider changing it.

Thank you for letting us know you have not addressed the safety defect that has killed other people. Now we know to watch obituaries.

On second thought, I won't bother, because if it's not important enough to you to fix to reduce your chance of death, then it is not important enough for me to keep up on whether or not you are dead of your own accord.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:05 PM

Wow bitter butterfly

Old 08-06-2020, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

I have never been called that before.

I don't tee off on folks much these days. It's when people post a string of unrelated far fetched and/or in some cases self-contradictory or thoroughly unrelated statements that there isn't much we can do to help you.

If you know nothing about cars, we will try to help you. Especially if you preface your post with that fact.

But you need to describe the problem, when it happens, when it doesn't and in your case which gears, shifting up, shifting down....

We can get to all the other stuff wrong with the car....but one thing at a time.
---------
As for not addressing the ignition switch recall, please also realize you are pointlessly risking the lives of others if your vehicle stalls and causes an accident. Cost of recall repair is $0.
_------------
So please tell us about the behavior of your transmission with all of the descriptors mentioned above, like when it happens, when it does not, is it on up shifts downshifts or both and can you tell if it is in the same gear and which one? If you don't know the answer that's fine weak. We will get there.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:38 AM

Wow bitter butterfly
😂😂

Anyway. Derf has a point.
Recall has nothing to do with it, but please get it done. It literally takes a few minutes these days.

Coolant light is on because the sensor is dirty/or faulty. Extremely common on the Ions. A new tank is like $40 plus shipping. Or you can just jump the plug and it'll kill the light if you check your fluids constantly. Mines jumped and no problems (I'm under the hood several times a week though)

Drain and refill the fluid. Lucas has some good stuff for the belts in autos you can add as well. Just DO NOT flush it.
If its really shifting that hard though it may just be a bandaid fix for eventually needing a transmission.

If you're close to east texas I'm capable of doing all the work for you. Wouldnt take long to swap the coolant tank and drain/fill the trans.

Worse case I also buy Ions needing motors/transmission.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:58 PM
Default 4t45e transmission

Your car is shifting hard. That's more likely transmission related. There are solenoids and I pump and about seven parts inside the transmission cover on the driver side . plus some fuses and the wiring that could be an issue. You could even have low fluid or I've seen and heard conflicting information on whether to change fluid or not.