2004 Ion 1 weird starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Default 2004 Ion 1 weird starting issue

Hey Everyone,
I had a weird starting issue with my Ion 1 this morning(2004, 39k on clock). Car was warm, I went into a store for about 10 minutes. came out, and the car wouldn't start. It cranked briefly, then just sat there. I checked the battery and that wasn't the problem-all lights,etc worked fine and continued to burn while i worked the key. At one point the 'service engine' message came on. I then got under the hood and jiggled all the connectors, got in, the car fired right up. There is no service message on the display-she's back to normal. Two questions:
  1. Could this be the infamous ECTS and pigtail I've heard so much about,and
  2. Would the problem throw a code(the service message is gone)-I dont have an OBDII reader, but would buy one if I have to.
Thanks a lot!
Neil

Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

Sounds more like a loose connection than a sensor problem ...

Old 12-12-2013, 10:32 PM

I agree with Mike. Check your battery cables where they're attached to the battery.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:34 PM

Hooked the beast up to a scanner-led me to the ECTS-looks like that's the problem. I've heard that I should get one from Saturn, and also replace the connector. Do any of you guys have any advice on this?
Thanks!

Old 12-14-2013, 03:57 PM

Yep, that's the way to go, Neil. Make sure the replacement sensor has a brass tip. If not, don't purchase it. Check your connector first, though. I replaced both on mine and after I had cut the wire harness and spliced in the new one, I inspected the old one and discovered that the connector was cracked. Probably could have gotten by with just replacing it instead of the sensor too, as the old sensor also was brass tipped. Haven't had any problems since replacing both, though.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:25 PM

The ION has never been plagued with the infamous etcs problem, and that includes not having a common problem with the connector.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:41 PM

Joe, is there something else I should be checking? I'm also replacing the battery and cleaning up the connectors-just because the battery is original to the car.
I've heard the ignition switch itself can be troublesome,that was replaced about 9 months ago. are there workarounds on this?
No other codes-hmm....
Originally Posted by sw2cam
The ION has never been plagued with the infamous etcs problem, and that includes not having a common problem with the connector.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:07 PM

Just read the sticky-gonna check that ignition switch grease thing,too.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:20 AM

Since that's an 04 model and has the OEM battery, I'm thinking you've already solved the problem. It's rare for a battery to last 10 years. And after that length of time, I'm sure you've got corrosion on the cables and posts.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:21 AM

ION batteries tend to last quite a long time because they are mounted in the trunk away from the heat and vibration. Let us know how things are working out after the battery replacement.

Quick Reply: 2004 Ion 1 weird starting issue