2003 Ion not charging battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 10:58 PM
Angry 2003 Ion not charging battery

I'm trying to confirm what voltage I am supposed to get at the small red wire on the alternator.

2003 Ion, 2.2L

This is what I know:

I've got 12v from the battery up to the large red wire on the alternator
The battery is a few months old and when charged it passes a load test
When running i never get the 13.5-14V that I expect to charge the battery.
The dash light is on when i turn on the key and goes out as I crank and then comes back on immediately
The fusable link (or at least the big red wire that may or may not be a fusable link) between the starter and the alternator has continuity
The alternator tests good at a local parts store (and it is new out of the box because it took me 3 stores to find a guy that could actually run the machine - first store just swapped out the alternator under warranty)

I don't seem to get any voltage at the small red wire to the voltage regulator when the key is on.
I hooked up a wire chaser to the disconnected small red wire and have continuity to the C2 connector pin 62 (as best i can tell) on the ECM

If the cluster fuse was blown under the dash I wouldn't be getting the light on

So looking at the wiring diagrams i have found.... I should be getting 12V through the Body Control module into C1 on the ECM

Does anyone have any info that identifies C1 and C2 and the pinouts? From tracing the wire I'm assuming C2 is the big one on the ECM and C1 is the litte one

C1 goes to C3 on the Body Control Module and out of C4 to the cluster. Where is the Body Control Module and which connector is C4 and C3?

Is all this Alternator On circuit (the small red wire to the regulator on the alternator) straight 12V from the battery? I'm getting conflicting reports from the world of Youtube videos... some guys say 12v... others say it is a 5v data signal (which makes absolutely no sense to me). At either rate I'm not getting any voltage at the regulator/alternator on connection.