19bonestock88's LSJ resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 10:07 AM

I didn't measure piston to wall clearance on my block; it's supposedly an 80k mile engine, and the bores look nice(a little blackness in that first quarter inch), I decided to assume it'll be fine... When I rebuild the one that's coming out of my car, I'll make sure it's perfect...

I need to remove the front cover and oil pan and snoop around for the three remaining ARP nuts that might be in there

Old 04-22-2016, 04:52 PM

I just got semi-finished with porting the exhaust aide of the cylinder head for the spare LSJ... I ran out of grinding/sanding/polishing implements for my Dremel tool before getting the ports as nice as I wanted, but they are gasket matched and smoother than the casting originally was... I didn't CC the ports, they might not be exactly the same, but it'll do for now... I need to get an intake gasket and some more sanding drums and gasket match the intake side and clean the exhaust side further...

Old 04-22-2016, 08:47 PM

You might already know, but in the diesel world, ARP head studs are the staple. I have mine on my 05 5.9L torqued to 150 ft/lbs, and I'm still on the stock head gasket with 200,000 miles and 50 psi of boost regularly.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:44 PM

The spare engine came with ARP studs, but missing three of the nuts... I still need to look into that, maybe they fell into the oil pan...

Old 04-22-2016, 10:31 PM

If they aren't there, I'm sure you can get on their website and order the nuts with the same thread pitch and diameter. Make sure to use lube on the threads when you torque them. ARP sells special lube, but you can use engine oil as well.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:32 PM

Yeah, I'm sure I can find out size and thread pitch from ARP and order the nuts... I need a crap ton of other fasteners for the engine too, not just for the head...

I need so far-

Retaining bolts for the cam gears- maybe sourcable from another Ecotec
One of the head bolts that goes inside the timing chain area-might be in pile of bolts
Bolts that hold engine to transmission- gonna re-use from my blown LSJ
Flywhel and pressure plate bolts-they are TTY and need replaced, available through ZZP

Old 05-11-2016, 07:50 PM

So, I finished the porting/polishing of my cylinder head, and took it to a local engine shop to be checked for trueness... It passed, and he even scuffed it for me, in preparation for installation on the engine... Now, I just need gaskets, and a couple bolts, and a timing chain guide... I'll post some pics of the head when I get a chance...

Old 07-06-2016, 11:51 PM

Well, I have the timing chain guide(no bolts for it though), and I just ordered a head gasket(stock GM one) and some GMPP RTV sealant for the oil pan(since I opened it up)

Just need some bolts and the engine can be assembled and the appt made for the transplant... The clutch is about half(gonna use it for now), and I'm hoping nothing else external to the engine needs replacing, other than what is necessary to add water/methanol injection...

Old 07-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Didn't you put a new timing kit on this puppy?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:18 PM

Umm... No I didn't, but the PO did about 20k ago... From how nice the chain looked, I believe him... He did however misplace the upper chain guide and some other crap during his partial disassembly to remove the head, which never actually happened...

Quick Reply: 19bonestock88's LSJ resurrection