19bonestock88's 04 Redline BUILD:finishing somebody else's project...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:10 AM

I read a minute ago that it is indeed okay to spray water before the blower, it actually cools the rotors and casing... Guess what my next project is, after changing the intake gasket?

Old 06-19-2015, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

setting up a recirculating sprayer that shoots water at your blower casing until it cracks from the shock related to extreme asymmetrical thermal cycling?

Old 06-19-2015, 01:52 PM

Twin turbo?

Old 06-19-2015, 10:40 PM

Good guess goalie, but I don't have the internals for that just yet... No, I am thinking about spraying some water and going 2.7, maybe even 2.6...

Old 06-19-2015, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

where is the "line" in terms of boost that these particular engines can withstand ( parts both internal and external to the engine)?

Just keep in mind your present internals have how many miles on them?

Old 06-20-2015, 02:51 AM

Here's the issue with that. On your hub, you would need to shave down the blower for a 2.6/7 to fit. Smoothflow (the pulley I have) is the only company to make a 2.7 fit without shaving the blower. If you have a 2.6, you NEED the smoothflow hub to not shave it down. I was gonna do a 2.6, but I have a gm hub.

Derf, its not so much the motor you have to worry about with stock forged internals. It is more so can the blower handle it. If you drop to a 2.6, id highly recommend a full snout rebuild.
Not sure of the exact amount of boost these motors can withstand, but people have gotten close to 400whp on the stock bottom end before it popping. That's double stock power. And a healthy motor of course.

Might be cheaper looking into a manual boost controller instead. I've seen em as low as $20-30. An idea I've been tinkering with instead of swapping hubs.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

didn't know they were stock forged internals.
why the hell does GM make something like this motor, with multiple possible mods, supercharged from the factory, yet fully configurable to your heart's desire.. ........

the kind of car a teenager can buy used for not that much---and start a never ending cycle of REAL modding to rival all the ricers-----

then chuck it over their shoulder into the trash 3 years later rather than refine it and keep it around?

Do they make money off the mods? Sure they do. Because all the younger kids see the modded out cobalt ss and redlines, hear the whine of the blower, and WANT ONE.

Another GM opportunity down the drain......no surprise.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:03 AM

The motor originally started at a Saab 9.3 with a small turbo. A lot of people see it that gm ruined the motor with a supercharger. Gm did offer "stage kits" to keep warranty back in the day

Old 06-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

ok, so they had the forethought to offer stage kits that only the wealthier of us could afford -- and it was even within warranty. I'm sure many wanted them but couldn't afford them.

I don't see how changing the power band of an engine "ruins" it.....it may not have been initially designed for a supercharger, but Unc's 350 Mercury marine motor wasn't designed to power an automobile either.

What better engine to soup up then one that comes stock w forged internals?

Is there a variation of this motor/design that lives on within GM that is affordable, or did they just scrap it in the US and keep it w the turbo in the rest of the world?

Old 06-20-2015, 12:18 PM

For the power hungry people that think turbo's are better, are the ones that think that GM ruined it with the supercharger.
Yes, you can get more instant power with a turbo, but lag will hurt yuh every time.

The LSJ went on to be the LNF (turbo). That turned into the LDK (also turbo). GM just came out with another small turbo 4 cylinder that is being featured in Camaros.

Quick Reply: 19bonestock88's 04 Redline BUILD:finishing somebody else's project...