2008 Saturn Aura xr front lower control arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 02:13 AM
Talking 2008 Saturn Aura xr front lower control arms

Waddup good peeps, new here.

So, I have a saturn aura 2008 xr and the front lower control arms are pretty much done. I am still driving with huge risks (not taking freeways). So, I was wondering which would be a good brand for front LCA. I have taken look at detroitaxle, mevotech, moog, acdelco. Moog is kinda expensive tbh for me as i am a student and I dont have enough to afford that. Mevotech price is pretty good. Detroitaxle is the cheaptest in amazon, the whole front kit is going for 139 bucks. Also, My aura is going throug gas like there is no tomorrow. Barely getting 14-15 mpg. Any solutions to that ? Oh and one more thing, my strut is leaking too. Should I replace them ?

Old 07-25-2018, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Poor mileage MAY be front 02 sensor, Coolant temp sensor making air/fuel mix too rich (too much fuel in the mixture). These are GUESSES without being able to measure anything on your car.
Where does the needle on the temp gauge read when car is warmed up?

I never buy the cheapest of anything for car parts as usually, you get what you pay for.

Never purchased anything Mevotech so can't weigh in on that one.

Moog and ACDelco are good brands. I stick with ACDelco (OEM) whenever it is not price prohibitive.

I know Moog is expensive for you.

Check all on Amazon. With free shipping, it is often less expensive than RockAuto.
I have supported RockAuto for over a decade, but their shipping prices are getting more ridiculous than before.
It pays to buy multiple parts that weigh alot -- as long as they come from the same warehouse.
--------------
If it is just the bushing that is wasted, see if you can find a bushing only replacement.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:50 PM

@derf

Every mechanic I have been to told me that its better to get rid of the whole control arm and get a new pair otherwise it will affect the performance of the vehicle. Oh well. So, I was like ok, lemme take a look. Yeah I was thinking ACdelco too. And wow, I never thought about O2 sensor and the coolant sensor.When I start my car, The coolant stays slightly under the mid line. As I am from Cali (***in 100 F everyday!!), I don't know if it is still normal. But I will take a look. Have a K&N air filter that I cleaned 4 days ago. No luck still. I will be broke in no time filling my tank up every 5 days*sobbing* , But I love my saturn tho

Old 07-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

can't tell you on coolant temp sensor; it's not reading massively low so it's prob not the issue.

How many miles on the (upstream)vehicle and how many miles since you change front 02? If it is a V6 there will likely be 2 of them. Again, guessing.
The sensors are usually good for about 100-125K mi.
If you replace, they are probably Denso sensors rebranded for GM. Check on rockauto.com for the AC Delco OE part number, then find the equivalent denso that replaces it. Will save you some dinero vs ACDelco. They are the same damn part on S cars. Early on, they used to ship Denso labeled sensors in the AC Delco boxes. No clue which one is the OEM for the Aura. Just guessing Denso.

Yes it makes more sense to replace the entire LCA -- no argument here. Was exploring based on your low $ situation.