2008 Aura.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Default 2008 Aura.

Hello all! I am looking at purchasing a 2008 Aura. It is high milage, 207xxx but runs and drives beautifully. From what I have read, this is one of those GM models (like the 2002 buicks and H2 hummers) that seem to have a bulletproof drivetrain, earning a 4.6/5 rating, and multiple reviews of people reporting 300k+ miles. It is a florida car, rust free, and overall pretty clean for the age/milage. There are some issues- mainly an engine oil leak somewhere which is substantial enough to be noticeable when looking under the car and on the sides of the engine from above, it looks old or not wet enough to be a huge spraying leak- also not static, or enough to leave more than a few spots under where it has been parked for a month. There is some dumb stuff which is easily fixable, but I noticed there are a few random electrical issues which concerns me. The door locks are iffy, as is the sunroof, the tire pressure monitor is saying it's jacked up, and the traction control doesn't seem to be working or illuminating anything when the switch is cycled while the car is in P N or D. The owner is asking $2000 which seems reasonable when I research it all but I would like some opinions on this vehicle and of anything I described is a red flag, like the traction control stalling the engine out or whatever. Thank you so much for any info, any time I have ever driven or rented a Saturn, they are great cars. Thanks again

Old 01-08-2019, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

To me, the Aura was a nice concept that was poorly executed as a Saturn. It wandered into GM's lines with other names.

I've never owned one nor driven one, but the vast majority of the Gremlins in the Aura are electrical from what I've read. Untraceable leaks of anything are never good. I'd just ask the seller.

$2k seems alot for a 200k ride. Ask for maintenance records. If there aren't any, then you have no idea what kind of life it's led nor what you'll be replacing in the next 5 years if it lasts that long.

Go to nhtsa.gov and read through the complaints. There's always a trend.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:20 AM

With all of the electrical issues that these vehicles are known to have, I personally, wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. If you're good with electrical work yourself, and think you can sort it all out, then by all means, go ahead. As for the oil leaks, it may be as simple as some gaskets that need replacing to something major. Traction control issues may be as simple as loose connections to major problems with modules or other mechanical parts. Use your best judgement. If you plan on having a shop check it over and do all of the work for repairs, you'd better have DEEP pockets. Electrical troubleshooting and repair work is very expensive. I'd most likely look for a $5-7000 vehicle instead of investing in a high mileage "maybe I can fix it cheaply" vehicle.