Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Default Transmission

This just started yesterday but its not the first time its happened. Out of the blue when I shift into or out of third it feels like its slipping but its not. Like I can push it into gear with one finger and not much pressure, but all the other gears are fine. I thought maybe it was the synchronizers but my mechanic said it wasn't. He didn't give me any information on it. He said give it a couple days and then go back if its the same. This happened before, back in September/October. All the gears engage and everything is working, its just really weird and annoying. Any idea of what it could be? I'm hoping that it isn't anything serious.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:43 PM

So I found out what it is, but I don't know what the technical name for it is. I've been looking through all 3 of my books to find out what the name is. I was told by my father that it is the "shifter grommet" whatever that is? Any idea what he means by that?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

thinking this would be the shifter cable bushing that holds the shift cables to the shifter assembly. When it breaks, though, the entire shifter usually goes limp -- not just one gear.

You may have an issue developing with the bushing or with the shifter cable ends at the shifter or tranny linkage end

pull the center console (just screws I believe) and inspect both the bushing and the cable ends.

The shift busing goes when the cables stretch and create a lateral stress on it.
That's why GM will not sell the bushing alone - only the bushing with a new set of cables

Last edited by derf; 01-18-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 AM

Shifter cables stretch out over time, thus the plastic bushings break and hard shifting is the result. You can try replacing them but be ready to go to the dealer and get a new cable set.

I say dealer because the aftermarket unit made by doorman is damn near junk.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 AM

Damn near junk is right ...................