Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2
View Poll Results: How do I rebuild a sunroof relay 1993 sc2coupe or find the correct replacement
Tell me how to rebuild sunroof relay
0%
Tell me where I can by correct replacement relay,(no prongs)
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Sunroof relay

Old 07-15-2017, 02:50 PM
Post Sunroof relay

1993 Saturn coupe sc2. Sunroof relay works usually and when doesn't a tap on the motor will get it going. I have traced the problem to the relay box which I opened and contained 2 smaller boxes where I'm guessing the connections are made. I went to buy a new relay box and it looks nothing like the one that is in the car now.the old one has only wires coming out of it, the replacements all have electrical prongs coming out of them. There is no place to plug these prongs into. Can someone tell me how to rebuild the old box, specifically how to get the two smaller boxes open? They appear to have tiny holes that may open the box, then I'm assuming that the connections need to be resoldered.Or even better can someone tell me where I can get the correct replacement relay?

Old 07-18-2017, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Tapping a motor should not have anything to do with the relay which controls it. Unless you mean tapping the relay will get it to close all the way.

Please don't make a poll for a tech question unless you are asking people to decide between two ANSWERS. I'll delete it if I decide I care enough to figure out how.

Pictures are worth 1000 words.

Personally, although your descriptions of parts are decent, I have never seen the sunroof relay module from a 24 yr old S car, nor the replacement that anyone offers for it.

So if you truly seek assistance, please post a pic of your current one and a link to the replacement one with the prongs. I'll assume for now it was a redesign that simplified the thing and prob made it more reliable. THe other explanation is that the replacement module you're looking at was prob not produced until say 1995. It can be retro'd to work in the older vehicles if you have a wiring diagram and know what those tabs are for.

I have a 91-93 S car Chilton Manual with decent wiring diagrams for just about the whole car. Will help if I can.

But need pictures/links first

Old 07-18-2017, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

I've yet to see RockAuto be dead wrong on a part replacement.

The replacement part I would use is a

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS RY116

and I'd buy two as one may get wrecked and they won't be available forever.

THe replacement is obviously designed to be plugged into a fuse panel---likely underhood or IPJB. IF there is a third location, then it is news to me. But the 5 blades are a standad config to plug into a fuse panel.

Check the inside of the fuse panel covers for a sunroof relay slot. The above mentoned part fits there, wherever "there" is.

I think there may be some confusion as to what the box you're messing with actually is. Thinking in related pairs, maybe the little two boxes contain the circuitry that start the motion (once the aforementioned relay is closed) and stop the motion based on internal adjustments that match the track length. Maybea simple timer circuit in there to serve the purpose.

Total GUESS. Maybe I'lll look in the book lster today

Old 07-18-2017, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

I've yet to see RockAuto be dead wrong on a part replacement.

The replacement part I would use is a

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS RY116

and I'd buy two as one may get wrecked and they won't be available forever.

THe replacement is obviously designed to be plugged into a fuse panel---likely underhood or IPJB. IF there is a third location, then it is news to me. But the 5 blades are a standad config to plug into a fuse panel.

Check the inside of the fuse panel covers for a sunroof relay slot. The above mentoned part fits there, wherever "there" is.

I think there may be some confusion as to what the box you're messing with actually is. Thinking in related pairs, maybe the little two boxes contain the circuitry that starts the motion (once the aforementioned relay is closed) and stops the motion based on internal adjustments that match the track length. Maybe a simple timer circuit in there to serve the purpose.

Total GUESS. Maybe I'll look in the book later today