Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

so I ran into a problem with my g/f's car. The sunroof would open upwards, but wouldn't slide backwords to fully open. The motor would just make a grinding or a buzzing noise. I took the liner off and pulled the motor, but am not sure if the motor is the fault or if it's the gears to move the sunroof.

When the little key in the bottom of the sunroof motor is depressed, the sunroof would move about an inch than stop. So, if you did this 20 times the sunroof would be fully open, but you would have to do the same to close it.

Anyone have this problem before? Motor or the sunroof gears themselves?

Thanks

Old 11-09-2008, 10:56 AM

I have a 92 SC2 that was having issues similar to this. Once the header was out, I removed the glass and the tracks from the frame. Then carefully took the rails apart (have to be very careful with plastic parts here - easily broken) and degreased all of them including the rails using simple green. I then used the spray on white lithium grease on the rails and on the plastic parts where they come in contact with the rails. Carefully re-assembled the parts (no forcing here, take your time) and connected the rails back to the cable that opens and closes the sunroof while putting them back into the frame. For the 92 SC2 you have to be very careful with the passenger side since there is a sensor switch on the forward end of the plastic parts in the track. If you don''t put it in straight you can snap off the switch, and then you are going to have a sunroof that is closed forever, once you get it there. Or find a junk yard that has the replacement part, and will only want to sell you the entire sunroof. Once back together I waited on putting the glass back on till I was able to cycle the rails open and close numerous times, then wiping out the excess grease that piles up and reapplying some more while going through the open close step. Now fully lubricated I attached the glass again. Works like it did when it was new.