Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 PM

I have a 2002 SC1 has 96000 km, lots of new parts, including starter. Came home on a friday night, shut off the car and tried to start it Saturday morning...no such luck. Tried everything I can think of. It wouldn''t boost, so I bought a new battery. That wasn''t the problem. Checked the Electronic Ignition Fuse, that''s fine too. The starter in it is barely two months old. When I turn the key, all dash lights come on but engine does not turn over. Does not even attempt to turn over. I can hear the fuel pump kick in but when turning the key to starting position, nothing happens. What could be wrong? Please help!!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

I know that someSaturns have a problem with the positive battery cable becoming internally corroded fairly quickly. You might check it, and replace it if necessary ...

Old 01-07-2009, 04:10 PM

Thanks! I will check that next before I get it towed to the shop...
Any chance you think it might be the crankshaft position sensor??? That was my next thought.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Banned

I doubt that the crankshaft position sensor would keep the starter from engaging and turning the engine over

Originally Posted by wenscar02
I have a 2002 SC1 has 96000 km, lots of new parts, including starter....(snip)... The starter in it is barely two months old. When I turn the key, all dash lights come on but engine does not turn over. Does not even attempt to turn over. I can hear the fuel pump kick in but when turning the key to starting position, nothing happens. What could be wrong? Please help!!!!

Now - if you miswrote, and meant to say that the engine cranks, but does not start, then that is an enitrely different issue. Please verify which failure you actually have ??

Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 AM

No, the engine does not crank. I get nothing when turning the key. Not even a clicking noise from the starter.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Banned

OK - that narrows it down a bit:

1) IGN 3 fuse blown (30 amp) - take it out and check it with an ohmmeter. Looks can be deceving

2) Clutch start switch bad (on manual trans), or transaxle range switch bad (on automatic).

3) Ignition key switch defective

Now, assuming all of the above is good, get a starting switch (heavy duty), and connect one lead to where the battery connects on the starter. Connect the other lead to the spot on the starter where the purple wire is connected. Stand clear of the engine, and push the switch. Engine should crank. If it does, there is a harness wiring problem from the keyswitch, through the transmission interlock, to the starter.

If the starter does not crank, then:

4) 2-month old starter has gone bad

Old 01-09-2009, 02:04 PM

Thank you so much for your help!!! I will post and let you know how it goes!

Old 01-29-2009, 06:49 AM

I also am having starting problems. Not sure what is causing it but my Fuel Pump Relay goes bad about every 2 to 3 weeks. Car will be running fine, then i will get in and try start it and the dash lights come on but when i continue to turn the key nothing.

I can check to see if it ismy fuel pump relay by switching it with the one next to it (blower relay). Your vechicle may be set up the same way. The relay is behind the kick panel passenger side.

I buy a new relay, replace it and seem to be good for two or three weeks.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:14 AM

I had starting problems aswell, i stopd to get food the first time it happen went in the store for 5 mins came out and turned the key, all lights came on but no crank from the engine, what i did was startiung tapping the alternaterd and starter, and found out when i hit the starter the solinoid was sticking, replaced the started prolblem went away, that was my case, your case you just changed the starter right?does ur starter have the solinoid on it or near the batt, if its near the batt, grab a new one or atleast try tapping it, might come lose, i actually tapped mine for a month before replacing

Old 02-11-2009, 01:44 PM

Well as it turned out, my problems were with my ignition. I brought it in, they replaced the ignition and now the car runs fine. It was a $500 touch, but had to be done.
As for laef''s problems, I had my fuel pump replaced last year and if you can hear the fuel pump kick in when you turn the key, that''s not your problem. It''s quite possible that you, too, have ignition issues. My new mechanic advised me that the SC1''s are notorious for having ignition problems.
Just a thought :-)

Quick Reply: Starting Problems