Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Roof rack and catback questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

please no cherrybomb!!! It gives saturns a bad rap.

I'm assuming you meant new denso O2 sensors and NGK irridiums. NO IRRIDIUM, PLATUIMUM, or other exciting metal.

Use stock NGK COPPER plugs. Thousands have gone through the same question and decision. The stock NGKs work best. Plus the difference in resistance of the exotic metal tipped plugs can hose the ignition system.

CORRECTION: NAPA does not carry the Walker Muffler line. I swear they used to because I needed it fast and the local NAPA ordered it and got it in a day. I remember picking it up from the store. Whatever.
Other stores do. For $30 more than RockAuto.com

I purchased mine from RockAuto along with the required strap.
I purchased

Walker #21348 Premium Quiet Flow Stainless Muffler
Walker #36372 Muffler Strap

Again -- the change in exhaust tone is VERY MINOR, so don't base your muffler decision solely off my experience.

Have you ever changed out the ECTS for a brass one?

Old 09-08-2015, 11:44 PM

I would like to add that while used as a primary muffler, a cherrybomb (glass pack) sucks horribly, but a glasspack makes for a decent resonator...

Back before I personally owned a Saturn, I had a Suzuki Forenza... Similar situation, with no aftermarket support, and a fellow enthusiast made his own cat back exhaust for it, using methods I described earlier... While the U20SED(the engine in that car) is not aurally the same as a 1.9 liter Saturn engine, the methods are similar...

The above mentioned cat back-

Old 09-09-2015, 05:55 PM

Yeah.... I did use iridium plugs. oops. Anyway I'll see how they do. Definitely in need of a cat. Gonna go denso for the o2 sensors. I'll do the exhaust when I get a few more pesos in the wallet.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:46 PM

So, a buddy of mine had a muffler laying around. Some generic brand. Just says made in USA on the box. Weld on plus had to buy a new tip for it. My cat seemed fine and I'm replacing both o2 sensors. Sounds pretty good. Almost factory. Nothing to write home about but I'm happy with it.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:48 PM

Bump... Just an fyi, I bought one of those foam block kits for the canoe and it worked wonders. I never broke the 55mph Mark but it was sturdy enough for the 1 hour commute. The kit I bought has you mount the canoe as it would sit upright like in the water (hopefully). $25 on eBay worth every penny. I believe it's made by Atwood.