Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Pump or Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned

2001 SC2 DOHC

Here''s the issue...battery started losing voltage in the mornings. Measured voltage during start up and it dropped to around 8.5 volts. Squeeling from one of the accessories...power steering pump or alternator, or both!

Belt ended up being eaten up and was smoking it was slipping so bad.

All points lean towards the alternator given the viltage issues, and the squeeling that I hear when I put a load on the alt.

But the sound sounds like it''s coming from the power steering pump. The power steering pulley has a little play, so maybe it''s the bearings? Maybe it just sounds like it''s coming from the PS pump because they are right next to one another?

Sorry the explanation is all over the place, but I just need someone to look at this from a different perspective. I am thinking alternator, but I replaced the alt with a used low mileage one, and the noise was WAY WAY worse...maybe the PS pump just finally had it, or maybe the alt. was bad.

HELP!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Banned

Actually, you have several problems from what you write ...

First thing I would do, is to replace the tensioner and also the serpentine belt. This should stop your belt from squealing and smoking.

While you have the serpentine belt off your car, with your hand, turn the power steering pump to see if the bearing is grinding. Make sure the power steering fluid is not contaminated.

Next take the car down to AutoZone (or similar) and have your alternator and battery system tested. This should get you back on the road in the shortest possible time ...

Old 11-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Banned

Everything seems to be spinning freely. When I had the belt off I checked everything by hand and nothing grinds, squeels, etc.. The Power steering pump has a little play, but not enough to cause any major problems. Took the alt down to a few shops and they don''t have the right connections to put a load on the alt. Seems that their books and all their plugs don''t match up with Saturns messed up connections and mislabeling.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Banned

Well ...

That is pointing more and more to the tensioner as being the bad guy. Replace it, and the serpentine belt.

Have the battery charged overnight, then take it down to your shop and have it tested to make sure it will hold a proper charge. Personally, I do not trust any battery that is three years or older, my little quirk, but then, I have never had a battery failure problem either.

Put everything back together, and see how it runs. Good luck ...

Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned

Tensioner hey...

The main thing that plagues me is that when I put a load on the system the squeeling was quite elevated, then when I turned all accessories off the squeeling went away. Still a tensioner symptom?

The battery seemed to not hold a charge too...kinda ironic. All started about the same time. Could be the cold weather too...

Old 11-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Banned

I''ve just had my alternator seize. I thought at first it was the power steering pump based on where the rattle was coming from just before total seizure. Right now I have the belt off, the PS pump bearing has a little slack but is otherwise fine, same story for AC idler. Water pump is perfect, alternator is locked. Could it be the weak link in it all? Its pulley is smallest therefore it sees by far the highest revs of any accessory, esp since the engine likes to cruise at 3500 to start with.

Anyways, what is the easiest way to the alternator? It it totally buried and there seems no easier way than removing the PS pump, inlet headers, fuel rail/injectors etc. Seems like a horrible job. Also what is everyone''s opinion on replacement brand and reco versus new? Are the budget parts reliable or is are the better parts worth the money?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Banned

To JimmySlide -

The greater the electrical load you place on an alternator, the harder it is to turn. If the tensioner has gotten weak, the belt will slip and you get a squealing noise. A slipping belt will not allow the alternator to keep the battery properly charged ... as you can see, it all works together.

To JilBruke -

I would not call the alternator a weak link, but they have been known to fail in the past. As for the replacement, I personally go for the high-end parts from Napa or AutoZone. Yes, they are more expensive than rebuilds, but the servicability warranty is much more important to my way of thinking.

As for getting to the alternator, it entails placing the car on secure jackstands, and removing the right front tire and the fenderwell splashguard to gain access. Hopefully, you have a dry, warm, clean garage for this work. Good luck ....

Old 11-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Banned

Done and Done...ended up being the Alternator and the Belt...Just a bad combination I guess.

The easiest way I found to get to the alt was from underneath the vehicle for the 1 bolt...then I removed the power steering pump (3 bolts) and then I accessed the other bolt on the alt from there.

And yes, I took the tire off.

Not too bad of a job actually! Works like a charm now.