Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Alternator?!?!?!?!?!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:32 PM

my car always has had problems starting, it would turn over but take a few trys to start, sometimes it would start right up (especially if i took it to a shop)

about a month ago my car started acting funny, i thought it could be something with my system so i disconnected it, i decided to go to autozone and have my alternator checked, they said it was fine so i just finnally had my system re-wired and everything is working fine, but i noticed the starting problem got worse and i felt some bucking almost while i was driving, so i went back to autozone... they told me that my alternator is running at 8.5 amps when it should be at about 30 or more!

what kind of alternator should i get? one from saturn or look for a performance one. also could that be the cause of my starting problems or am i completely off track?![img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2007, 09:48 PM

Lets see..........the car starts off of the battery, the battery is charged by the alternator. So if the alternator is not putting out the battery does not get charged and the car has starting problems. Hey, I'd change the spoiler.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:57 AM

change the spoiler?! what does that mean?! the battery is almost brand new... i guess im just not sure what u mean Edited by: x0kalie

Old 08-27-2007, 11:56 AM

Humor aside, if you have a multimeter you can measure the battery voltage and alternator voltage; battery should be around 13v, with the engine idling 13.5v, above idling 14.5v (give or take a few tenths of a volt for each measurement). Your description fits a faulty alternator and a rebuilt is the most cost effective, buying new the next expensive, and high performance the most expensive.High output alternators are primarily designed for vehicles with demands on the electrical systems to power flashing police lights, sirens, on-board computers, two-way communications, air conditioning, portable patient monitoring electronics, extra interior lighting, etc.. You can buy these alternators but they may be overkill for everyday use. A rebuilt with a lifetime guarantee is most likely the best option.

When you decide what alternator to buy be sure the battery cables are not corroded under the heavy insulation by the clamps other wise the electrical system won't operate at optimum levels.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:03 PM

Well I called Saturn of Hartford and found out that there were 2 different models in 1997, and mine happens to be the more expensive verision! (SUCKS!!!) the other version is around $100 and mine is $250!!! So now im not sure if the $100 autozone version would be compatible with my car!!! LOVE my car but this SUCKS!!! [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]talk about a giant punch to my first paycheck!!! [img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Try http://rockauto.comor http://saturnparts.netto check on prices and output rating of your alternator.